Horn strike plate/arrow rest

  • duncan_of_carmarthen
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
      I have a bow purchased from stick-bow.com, and I would like to add a horn arrow rest/strike plate to it. I have seen one place online that sold them, sadly, I saw it at 3am one morning, and have never been able to find it again. Any leads on where I might find one?
    • Bill Tait
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
        Try 3riversarchery.com

        I believe they carry what you need.

        William Arwemakere

        On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM, duncan_of_carmarthen <rdavis1971@...> wrote:

        I have a bow purchased from stick-bow.com, and I would like to add a horn arrow rest/strike plate to it. I have seen one place online that sold them, sadly, I saw it at 3am one morning, and have never been able to find it again. Any leads on where I might find one?

      • George Bottorf
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
          Duncan. Go to your nearest music store and look over the supply of guitar picks. I'm sure you will find something to use. They're plastic and cheap! Look good too. Abner.
        • duncan_of_carmarthen
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "duncan_of_carmarthen" <rdavis1971@...> wrote:

            > I have a bow purchased from stick-bow.com, and I would like to add a horn arrow rest/strike plate to it. I have seen one place online that sold them, sadly, I saw it at 3am one morning, and have never been able to find it again. Any leads on where I might find one?

            addendum:
            The bow is going to be used for period shooting, and so the basic shape would be more oval that would be an insert into the wood, with a shelf that protrudes outside the bow, so the arrow rests in-line with the side of the bow, and resting on the protruding shelf.
          • frode_kettilsson
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
              Duncan,
              Here are some pics of a deer antler (have any hunter friends?) strike plate I put on a hickory/elm longbow about a year ago.  No shelf, as the owner wanted to shoot off the hand, but it would be easy to carve a combination strike plate/shelf out of a bit of deer antler.  I made mine with a small hand saw, the pull type, and a couple of files, medium and fine.  Maybe some sand paper, I don't recall now, but that would work too.  I recommend hand tools, power tools cut too fast, making a lot of stink (think burning hair) and dust, which you shouldn't breathe.  This was secured with a 5 minute epoxy, and since it's in a non bending area, it has worked out fine.  The pictured plate was about 3/32" thick.  Just go slow and easy while forming the piece, and it works fine!
              Cheers,
              Frode

              http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/frode_bucket/strike%20plate/PB280005.jpg

              http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/frode_bucket/strike%20plate/PB280003.jpg