Re: [SCA-Archery] shaft material

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
      Lady Grace,

      Merlin makes them.  Shipping to Australia from the US isn't too bad if they go in a mailing tube.  Of course hand planed arrows aren't cheap regardless of the wood used.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >   At 11:11 PM 10/5/2011, you wrote:

      Hi, My name is Lady Grace of Mordenvale in the kingdom of Lochac, i have a promissory to fulfill for some medieval made arrows. does anyone have any websites or information literature where i can get documentation from, and also to where i can look for ash timber shafts as the gentleman has requested these to be of ash. I live in Australia and this is not so easy to get here.
      Yours in service
      Lady Grace

    • cianofstorvik
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2011
        There was a company a few years back that was importing shafts from Australia that were described as "Silverwood". No indigenous tree to Austrial is called "silverwood". There was much speculation that this was an ash wood, as it had very similar properties (heavier than cedar or poplar, but not as heavy as oak, similar grain to ash), but was probably tasmanian oak.
        They came tapered or "barreled", and were available in spine weights upwards of 75# and as low as 35#. I have a couple dozen 60# ones left unfletched, but am not giving them up as the source dried up. They were about 1.5x as expensive as port orford cedar, but were much tougher and so saved money over replacing broken PO shafts. And of course they came pre-barreled and not prone to warping which was nice.

        Anyhow, I would ask around locally for Tasmanian Oak or "Silverwood" tapered shafts, and see if you can find who's making them. If you find out, I'd like to know if they're still exporting, as they are really nice shafts.
        -Cian of Storvik
        Peasant
        Kingdom of Atlantia
      • Des & Jan Howard
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2011
          Cian
          Silver Ash (Flindersia schottiana)is large Australian
          native rainforest tree. The only person, to my
          knowledge, making Silver Ash shafting was a bloke in
          Queensland who has gone out of the game & sold off his
          gear.
          Tasmanian Oak is the name used for three almost
          identical species of eucalypt hardwoods that are
          normally marketed collectively. E.delegatensis, E.
          regnans & E. obliqua. Apart from pine & MDF this is the
          material most commonly available for timber trim &
          dowelling around these parts.
          Tasmanian Oak & Silver Ash, (along with Port Orford
          Cedar & Ramen), are the only Lochacian acceptable
          timbers for combat arrow shafting. I don't recall
          timber restrictions for target archery. I use Tas. Oak
          dowelling for both target & combat arrows, very
          stringently selecting 5/16" in 2.4m lengths from a
          large Bunnings. The very best go to target use,
          t'others go to combat.
          Ranif