shaft material

  • joy
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
      Hi, My name is Lady Grace of Mordenvale in the kingdom of Lochac, i have a promissory to fulfill for some medieval made arrows. does anyone have any websites or information literature where i can get documentation from, and also to where i can look for ash timber shafts as the gentleman has requested these to be of ash. I live in Australia and this is not so easy to get here.
      Yours in service
      Lady Grace
    • John Edgerton
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
        I found this information on line.

        Jon
        **********

        baretraks
        March 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM
        I'm looking for a good place to purchase ash arrow shafts....or any good retailers where I can get a variety of wooden shaft material..anybody got any good ideas?
        "heydeerman"
        March 5th, 2006, 02:32 AM
        I used to buy all my ash shafts from Silent Pond in New England. He went out of business so I am looking for a source myself. I have found a couple but have not ordered any yet so I cannot offer any feedback.

        http://missoula.bigsky.net/arrows/
        This one comes on a good recommendation for Lodgepole which is what I am shooting now. I am pretty happy with the poles. They have a good weight and are pretty tough. He has a good price. He also offers Larch. I have never heard of Larch but he says they are heavy and the price is right. It might be a good alternative to ash.

        http://www.geocities.com/dianasshop/shafts.htm
        Diana's offers a pretty good variaty of hardwoods including ash. Her prices are good. She also offers Lodgepole (Chundo), and maple. I have had maple shafts. They are heavy and just as tough as ash.

        http://www.raptorarchery.com/newstore/departments.asp?id=39
        Raptor offers ash as well as white birch. Birch is everything ash is but might be easier to straighten.

        http://www.angelfire.com/biz/Ironwood/woodbows.html
        Here is something else to consider if you like cedar and want to add some weight and toughen them up. I have a couple footings that are made of ash but would not recommend them as they will split because of the grain. The purpleheart will be about as tough as they come and probably the heaviest that he offers. I asked him about osage footings and will make them if he has good material. This is also a good way to repair a broken arrow or add the length needed for guys with gorilla arms.

        Hope this helps.
        osagian
        March 5th, 2006, 06:40 AM
        I've bought nice ash shafts from these folks:

        http://www.arrowwoods.com/
        On Oct 5, 2011, at 8:11 PM, joy wrote:

        Hi, My name is Lady Grace of Mordenvale in the kingdom of Lochac, i have a promissory to fulfill for some medieval made arrows. does anyone have any websites or information literature where i can get documentation from, and also to where i can look for ash timber shafts as the gentleman has requested these to be of ash. I live in Australia and this is not so easy to get here.
        Yours in service
        Lady Grace

      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
          Lady Grace,

          Merlin makes them.  Shipping to Australia from the US isn't too bad if they go in a mailing tube.  Of course hand planed arrows aren't cheap regardless of the wood used.

          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

          >   At 11:11 PM 10/5/2011, you wrote:

          Hi, My name is Lady Grace of Mordenvale in the kingdom of Lochac, i have a promissory to fulfill for some medieval made arrows. does anyone have any websites or information literature where i can get documentation from, and also to where i can look for ash timber shafts as the gentleman has requested these to be of ash. I live in Australia and this is not so easy to get here.
          Yours in service
          Lady Grace

        • cianofstorvik
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2011
            There was a company a few years back that was importing shafts from Australia that were described as "Silverwood". No indigenous tree to Austrial is called "silverwood". There was much speculation that this was an ash wood, as it had very similar properties (heavier than cedar or poplar, but not as heavy as oak, similar grain to ash), but was probably tasmanian oak.
            They came tapered or "barreled", and were available in spine weights upwards of 75# and as low as 35#. I have a couple dozen 60# ones left unfletched, but am not giving them up as the source dried up. They were about 1.5x as expensive as port orford cedar, but were much tougher and so saved money over replacing broken PO shafts. And of course they came pre-barreled and not prone to warping which was nice.

            Anyhow, I would ask around locally for Tasmanian Oak or "Silverwood" tapered shafts, and see if you can find who's making them. If you find out, I'd like to know if they're still exporting, as they are really nice shafts.
            -Cian of Storvik
            Peasant
            Kingdom of Atlantia
          • Des & Jan Howard
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2011
              Cian
              Silver Ash (Flindersia schottiana)is large Australian
              native rainforest tree. The only person, to my
              knowledge, making Silver Ash shafting was a bloke in
              Queensland who has gone out of the game & sold off his
              gear.
              Tasmanian Oak is the name used for three almost
              identical species of eucalypt hardwoods that are
              normally marketed collectively. E.delegatensis, E.
              regnans & E. obliqua. Apart from pine & MDF this is the
              material most commonly available for timber trim &
              dowelling around these parts.
              Tasmanian Oak & Silver Ash, (along with Port Orford
              Cedar & Ramen), are the only Lochacian acceptable
              timbers for combat arrow shafting. I don't recall
              timber restrictions for target archery. I use Tas. Oak
              dowelling for both target & combat arrows, very
              stringently selecting 5/16" in 2.4m lengths from a
              large Bunnings. The very best go to target use,
              t'others go to combat.
              Ranif