Re: [SCA-Archery] crossbow sights and bow handedness

  • Scott B. Jaqua
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2011
      At 6'4" and with the arms of an Orangutang, I think maybe I can help. First off, both my wife and I shoot New World Arbalast Crossbows. We use rear sights made for them by New World Arbalast. So for that bow at least, you can get directly from the maker.

      For my hand bow I use the Hun pattern bow from Horsebows.com. There is a Dona in Caid that towers above the competition. She likewise uses the Hun from Horsebows.com. This bow has a very straight line power curve and works well with the long draw. In fact they have not been able to pry it out of my hands since I won the first tournament with it, TWO DAYS after I received it! This is one sweet bow for the tall archer.

      Njall

      On 10/3/2011 7:30 PM, Duck wrote:

      Greetings all,
      Since I am a new member to this group but a long time member of the SCA allow me to introduce myself. I am Jean-Michel Quhoun (Jean leDuck or just Duck), an Elizabethan era french sailor and archer who lives around the worlds eighth seas in the Midrealm.
      I bought my first crossbow (from New World Arbalest) at Pennsic 17 (tells you how long I've been around)and have since then picked up a San Marino, Barnett Wildcat (my favorite) and a Whammo Powermaster and occasionally check Ebay to see what other interesting crossbows I can find. I currently shoot without any sights at all and if my memory serves me well we are only allowed rear sights. Is this correct and what do the various crossbowmen out there use and where can one be picked up so I can give it a try?
      I also would like to begin shooting with a recurve or longbow (preferred) and see how good I can get at that but I'm uncertain on one or two topics concerning such. I am right handed but I have a left master eye. I shoot with my crossbow to my left shoulder and I do pretty well that way so would I want a bow that's held in my right hand or left? I have heard arguments for either side and, yes, I know that there are bows out there that are not hand specific but your various opinions would be greatly appreciated. I am also 6'5" tall and have long arms so I would like to find a bow that can withstand a full draw from me withour suffering any undo stress on it's limbs. Again what is your opinion but keep in mind that I am no Rockerfeller.
      Thank you

      --
      Scott B. Jaqua
      Hagerson Forge