Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Serving tools

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
      >>I now give away my newness to archery... What is "serving"?
      >>Arnbjorn

      If you look at a bowstring, they are usually a bunch of threads that
      run from one tip to another.
      The problem is that these threads tend to wear out and break,
      eventually. It’s called freying I think.

      When enough threads break, the string snaps, usually hitting you in the eye.

      Serving is when you wrap another string around the bowstring where the
      arrow nock is put.
      This makes the string thicker to hold the arrow nock better and makes
      the string thicker and easier to hold when you draw the bow. But it
      also protects the string because when the serving wears out, you can
      replace it and the string itself is still good.

      Think of it like running a bit of kite string through the spring in a
      ball-point pen. The spring, wrapped around the string, is the
      serving.

      I am certain that there are a bunch of illustrated websites that will
      show you this better. With pictures. But this is a very basic
      explanation.

      On 10/2/11, Joe Klovance <jklovanc@...> wrote:

      > I just did a quick Google search and came up with several suppliers.
      > www.google.ca/search?q=waxed+irish+linen+thread&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t
      >
      > Gryffyd
      > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      > From: meyer_rm@...
      > Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 07:33:55 -0700
      > Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Serving tools

      > I typically haven't done any serving on the strings I make. I usually
      > make a Flemish twist on one end and leave the other end alone. When I am
      > fitting the string to the bow, I tie a bowyer's knot in the bottom at the
      > right length. I mostly make my strings out of Irish linen, so by the time I
      > have the right strength string, it's too thick to serve. I just keep it
      > well waxed and I haven't had much of a problem.
      > I *do* need to find a supplier of larger quantities of waxed Irish Linen
      > thread or a method for waxing the thread (more like thin string). If anyone
      > knows where I can get it in quantity, or know of a method for waxing the
      > stuff, I would be most
      > appreciative.
      > Cheers!
      > Robert
      > --
      > "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
      > eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long
      > to return."
      > --Leonardo da Vinci

      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com