On a similar note, (Was: Serving tool research question)

  • Sam Wise
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2011
      Good questions! I've been having a good read following the responses.
      I too have a couple questions about strings and servings.
      1) when/where did serving a bowstring begin?
      2) what are the most commonly served strings?
      3) does anyone know of a technique for making a string other than
      Flemish Twist or the more modern continuous loop?
      Samuel

      On 10/1/11 8:32 PM, dirkfrisia wrote:
      > I have been asked to find an answer to the following questions:
      >
      > Was an equivalent device to the modern bowstring server used in the middle ages and/or Renaissance?
      >
      > Is there some documentation of the device if one was used?
      >
      > I gave an honest reply to this - I do not know.
      >
      > Before I dive into the research has anyone done research on this before? Anyone hand wound bow string serving in a period style?

    • Ld.blackmoon
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2011
        greetings

         check the native american bow strings , made from squirrell hide. ; )
        Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
        Arthur
        Good questions! I've been having a good read following the responses.
        I too have a couple questions about strings and servings.
        1) when/where did serving a bowstring begin?
        2) what are the most commonly served strings?
        3) does anyone know of a technique for making a string other than
        Flemish Twist or the more modern continuous loop?
        Samuel

        On 10/1/11 8:32 PM, dirkfrisia wrote:
        > I have been asked to find an answer to the following questions:
        >
        > Was an equivalent device to the modern bowstring server used in the middle ages and/or Renaissance?
        >
        > Is there some documentation of the device if one was used?
        >
        > I gave an honest reply to this - I do not know.
        >
        > Before I dive into the research has anyone done research on this before? Anyone hand wound bow string serving in a period style?

        No virus found in this message.