Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Serving tools

  • rosslchristenson@shaw.ca
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
      I now give away my newness to archery... What is "serving"?
      Arnbjorn

      From: Robert Meyer <meyer_rm@...>
      Sender: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 07:33:55 -0700 (PDT)
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com<SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Serving tools

      I typically haven't done any serving on the strings I make.  I usually make a Flemish twist on one end and leave the other end alone.  When I am fitting the string to the bow, I tie a bowyer's knot in the bottom at the right length.  I mostly make my strings out of Irish linen, so by the time I have the right strength string, it's too thick to serve.  I just keep it well waxed and I haven't had much of a problem.

      I *do* need to find a supplier of larger quantities of waxed Irish Linen thread or a method for waxing the thread (more like thin string).  If anyone knows where I can get it in quantity, or know of a method for waxing the stuff, I would be most appreciative.

      Cheers!

      Robert
      --
      "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
      --Leonardo da Vinci

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
        wrapping the bowsting in another string to protect it
        http://edersbow.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ser9.gif

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
          Thanks Hiroshi. That's what I assumed, but wanted to be sure. Just got my bow, and eager but ignorant :)
          Arnbjorn.

          --
          Rick Johnson
          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Taslen
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
            Arnbjorn

            Welcome to the hobby that becomes a obsession! Soooo what kind of bow did you get and where are you located?

            Gaelen O'Grady (the group busybody)
            Midrealm archery marshal of the field

            --
            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • dirkfrisia
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
              Robert,

              If I may ask, are the strands of the string straight or twisted at the point where one would nock?

              And out of curiosity, could you provide the number of strands of linen, comparative to nylon?

              Cheers!~

              Dirk

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                Galen, thanks! Like I need more obsession related to this game... Got a Marlin L-100 50 #. Located in the Shire of Bitter End in Avacal.
                Arnbjorn

                --
                Rick Johnson
                http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Robert Meyer
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                  Well, typically in a Flemish twist, the strings are twisted together into a loop at the end(s).  I typically twist the length of the string together, too.  This keeps the individual threads from separating.

                  The way that I determine the number of strands to use is to do a test of the strength of the string.  If the string breaks around 17 lbs of force, then you determine how strong you want your string to be.  I typically go for 5X the draw weight of the bow.  For a 50lb bow, that would be 250lbs.  That works out to about 15 strands.  I would round up to 16 and then would do the twist with two pairs of 8 strands.

                  There are some folks that advocate going with 10X the draw weight of the bow.  With linen, that would make a string so fat and heavy as to be nearly unusable.  If I make a dacron string, I will typically use the same number of strands as I do with linen.  This makes a string roughly the same thickness as the linen strings I make.  It's probably over built by quite a bit but I've never broken one :-).  I have broken linen strings, but then you kind of expect it will happen eventually.  With any bow, it's a good idea to make sure that the nocks are absolutely smooth with no burrs or sharp edges.  These break strings faster than anything.

                  Now that I typically shoot English longbows that I make.  I have no idea how much this would change with a recurve or some other bow type.  This is how Ed the Gray taught me to make them.

                  Cheers!

                  Robert

                • Joe Klovance
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                    I just did a quick Google search and came up with several suppliers. www.google.ca/search?q=waxed+irish+linen+thread&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t

                    Gryffyd

                    To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

                    --
                    Rick Johnson
                    http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • richard johnson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                      >>I now give away my newness to archery... What is "serving"?
                      >>Arnbjorn

                      If you look at a bowstring, they are usually a bunch of threads that
                      run from one tip to another.
                      The problem is that these threads tend to wear out and break,
                      eventually. It’s called freying I think.

                      When enough threads break, the string snaps, usually hitting you in the eye.

                      Serving is when you wrap another string around the bowstring where the
                      arrow nock is put.
                      This makes the string thicker to hold the arrow nock better and makes
                      the string thicker and easier to hold when you draw the bow. But it
                      also protects the string because when the serving wears out, you can
                      replace it and the string itself is still good.

                      Think of it like running a bit of kite string through the spring in a
                      ball-point pen. The spring, wrapped around the string, is the
                      serving.

                      I am certain that there are a bunch of illustrated websites that will
                      show you this better. With pictures. But this is a very basic
                      explanation.

                      On 10/2/11, Joe Klovance <jklovanc@...> wrote:

                      > I just did a quick Google search and came up with several suppliers.
                      > www.google.ca/search?q=waxed+irish+linen+thread&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t
                      >
                      > Gryffyd
                      > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: meyer_rm@...
                      > Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 07:33:55 -0700
                      > Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Serving tools

                      > I typically haven't done any serving on the strings I make. I usually
                      > make a Flemish twist on one end and leave the other end alone. When I am
                      > fitting the string to the bow, I tie a bowyer's knot in the bottom at the
                      > right length. I mostly make my strings out of Irish linen, so by the time I
                      > have the right strength string, it's too thick to serve. I just keep it
                      > well waxed and I haven't had much of a problem.
                      > I *do* need to find a supplier of larger quantities of waxed Irish Linen
                      > thread or a method for waxing the thread (more like thin string). If anyone
                      > knows where I can get it in quantity, or know of a method for waxing the
                      > stuff, I would be most
                      > appreciative.
                      > Cheers!
                      > Robert
                      > --
                      > "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
                      > eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long
                      > to return."
                      > --Leonardo da Vinci

                      Rick Johnson
                      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com