Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Serving tools

  • Robert Meyer
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
      I typically haven't done any serving on the strings I make.  I usually make a Flemish twist on one end and leave the other end alone.  When I am fitting the string to the bow, I tie a bowyer's knot in the bottom at the right length.  I mostly make my strings out of Irish linen, so by the time I have the right strength string, it's too thick to serve.  I just keep it well waxed and I haven't had much of a problem.

      I *do* need to find a supplier of larger quantities of waxed Irish Linen thread or a method for waxing the thread (more like thin string).  If anyone knows where I can get it in quantity, or know of a method for waxing the stuff, I would be most appreciative.

      Cheers!

      Robert
      --
      "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
      --Leonardo da Vinci

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
        I now give away my newness to archery... What is "serving"?
        Arnbjorn

        From: Robert Meyer <meyer_rm@...>
        Sender: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 07:33:55 -0700 (PDT)
        To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com<SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

        --
        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Hiroshi Thomas
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
          wrapping the bowsting in another string to protect it
          http://edersbow.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ser9.gif

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
            Thanks Hiroshi. That's what I assumed, but wanted to be sure. Just got my bow, and eager but ignorant :)
            Arnbjorn.

            --
            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Taslen
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
              Arnbjorn

              Welcome to the hobby that becomes a obsession! Soooo what kind of bow did you get and where are you located?

              Gaelen O'Grady (the group busybody)
              Midrealm archery marshal of the field

              --
              Rick Johnson
              http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • dirkfrisia
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                Robert,

                If I may ask, are the strands of the string straight or twisted at the point where one would nock?

                And out of curiosity, could you provide the number of strands of linen, comparative to nylon?

                Cheers!~

                Dirk

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                  Galen, thanks! Like I need more obsession related to this game... Got a Marlin L-100 50 #. Located in the Shire of Bitter End in Avacal.
                  Arnbjorn

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                    Well, typically in a Flemish twist, the strings are twisted together into a loop at the end(s).  I typically twist the length of the string together, too.  This keeps the individual threads from separating.

                    The way that I determine the number of strands to use is to do a test of the strength of the string.  If the string breaks around 17 lbs of force, then you determine how strong you want your string to be.  I typically go for 5X the draw weight of the bow.  For a 50lb bow, that would be 250lbs.  That works out to about 15 strands.  I would round up to 16 and then would do the twist with two pairs of 8 strands.

                    There are some folks that advocate going with 10X the draw weight of the bow.  With linen, that would make a string so fat and heavy as to be nearly unusable.  If I make a dacron string, I will typically use the same number of strands as I do with linen.  This makes a string roughly the same thickness as the linen strings I make.  It's probably over built by quite a bit but I've never broken one :-).  I have broken linen strings, but then you kind of expect it will happen eventually.  With any bow, it's a good idea to make sure that the nocks are absolutely smooth with no burrs or sharp edges.  These break strings faster than anything.

                    Now that I typically shoot English longbows that I make.  I have no idea how much this would change with a recurve or some other bow type.  This is how Ed the Gray taught me to make them.

                    Cheers!

                    Robert

                  • Joe Klovance
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                      I just did a quick Google search and came up with several suppliers. www.google.ca/search?q=waxed+irish+linen+thread&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t

                      Gryffyd

                      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

                      --
                      Rick Johnson
                      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • richard johnson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                        >>I now give away my newness to archery... What is "serving"?
                        >>Arnbjorn

                        If you look at a bowstring, they are usually a bunch of threads that
                        run from one tip to another.
                        The problem is that these threads tend to wear out and break,
                        eventually. It’s called freying I think.

                        When enough threads break, the string snaps, usually hitting you in the eye.

                        Serving is when you wrap another string around the bowstring where the
                        arrow nock is put.
                        This makes the string thicker to hold the arrow nock better and makes
                        the string thicker and easier to hold when you draw the bow. But it
                        also protects the string because when the serving wears out, you can
                        replace it and the string itself is still good.

                        Think of it like running a bit of kite string through the spring in a
                        ball-point pen. The spring, wrapped around the string, is the
                        serving.

                        I am certain that there are a bunch of illustrated websites that will
                        show you this better. With pictures. But this is a very basic
                        explanation.

                        On 10/2/11, Joe Klovance <jklovanc@...> wrote:

                        > I just did a quick Google search and came up with several suppliers.
                        > www.google.ca/search?q=waxed+irish+linen+thread&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t
                        >
                        > Gryffyd
                        > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: meyer_rm@...
                        > Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 07:33:55 -0700
                        > Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Serving tools

                        > I typically haven't done any serving on the strings I make. I usually
                        > make a Flemish twist on one end and leave the other end alone. When I am
                        > fitting the string to the bow, I tie a bowyer's knot in the bottom at the
                        > right length. I mostly make my strings out of Irish linen, so by the time I
                        > have the right strength string, it's too thick to serve. I just keep it
                        > well waxed and I haven't had much of a problem.
                        > I *do* need to find a supplier of larger quantities of waxed Irish Linen
                        > thread or a method for waxing the thread (more like thin string). If anyone
                        > knows where I can get it in quantity, or know of a method for waxing the
                        > stuff, I would be most
                        > appreciative.
                        > Cheers!
                        > Robert
                        > --
                        > "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
                        > eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long
                        > to return."
                        > --Leonardo da Vinci

                        Rick Johnson
                        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com