Re: [SCA-Archery] Serving tool research question

  • Hiroshi Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2011
      I assumed it was always done by hand.

      -Thomas Tegwen
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Oct 1, 2011, at 8:32 PM, "dirkfrisia" <bluecat@...> wrote:

      I have been asked to find an answer to the following questions:

      Was an equivalent device to the modern bowstring server used in the middle ages and/or Renaissance?

      Is there some documentation of the device if one was used?

      I gave an honest reply to this - I do not know.

      Before I dive into the research has anyone done research on this before? Anyone hand wound bow string serving in a period style?

      Many Thanks!

      Dirk Edward of Frisia

    • Guy Taylor
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2011
        This video:
        shows how to serve the rigging on a sailing ship. It's been done the same way for many hundreds of years.
        I've always suspected that tools similar to a serving paddle or serving mallet were used for bowstrings. Unfortunately, no documentation whatsoever.

        Guy
        Greenman Archery

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2011
          Good questions! I've been having a good read following the responses.
          I too have a couple questions about strings and servings.
          1) when/where did serving a bowstring begin?
          2) what are the most commonly served strings?
          3) does anyone know of a technique for making a string other than
          Flemish Twist or the more modern continuous loop?
          Samuel

          On 10/1/11 8:32 PM, dirkfrisia wrote:
          > I have been asked to find an answer to the following questions:
          >
          > Was an equivalent device to the modern bowstring server used in the middle ages and/or Renaissance?
          >
          > Is there some documentation of the device if one was used?
          >
          > I gave an honest reply to this - I do not know.
          >
          > Before I dive into the research has anyone done research on this before? Anyone hand wound bow string serving in a period style?

        • Ld.blackmoon
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2011
            greetings

             check the native american bow strings , made from squirrell hide. ; )
            Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
            Arthur
            Good questions! I've been having a good read following the responses.
            I too have a couple questions about strings and servings.
            1) when/where did serving a bowstring begin?
            2) what are the most commonly served strings?
            3) does anyone know of a technique for making a string other than
            Flemish Twist or the more modern continuous loop?
            Samuel

            On 10/1/11 8:32 PM, dirkfrisia wrote:
            > I have been asked to find an answer to the following questions:
            >
            > Was an equivalent device to the modern bowstring server used in the middle ages and/or Renaissance?
            >
            > Is there some documentation of the device if one was used?
            >
            > I gave an honest reply to this - I do not know.
            >
            > Before I dive into the research has anyone done research on this before? Anyone hand wound bow string serving in a period style?

            No virus found in this message.