Serving tool research question

  • dirkfrisia
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2011
      I have been asked to find an answer to the following questions:

      Was an equivalent device to the modern bowstring server used in the middle ages and/or Renaissance?

      Is there some documentation of the device if one was used?

      I gave an honest reply to this - I do not know.

      Before I dive into the research has anyone done research on this before? Anyone hand wound bow string serving in a period style?

      Many Thanks!

      Dirk Edward of Frisia
    • Hiroshi Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2011
        I assumed it was always done by hand.

        -Thomas Tegwen
        Sent from my iPhone

        On Oct 1, 2011, at 8:32 PM, "dirkfrisia" <bluecat@...> wrote:

        I have been asked to find an answer to the following questions:

        Was an equivalent device to the modern bowstring server used in the middle ages and/or Renaissance?

        Is there some documentation of the device if one was used?

        I gave an honest reply to this - I do not know.

        Before I dive into the research has anyone done research on this before? Anyone hand wound bow string serving in a period style?

        Many Thanks!

        Dirk Edward of Frisia

      • Guy Taylor
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2011
          This video:
          shows how to serve the rigging on a sailing ship. It's been done the same way for many hundreds of years.
          I've always suspected that tools similar to a serving paddle or serving mallet were used for bowstrings. Unfortunately, no documentation whatsoever.

          Guy
          Greenman Archery

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2011
            Good questions! I've been having a good read following the responses.
            I too have a couple questions about strings and servings.
            1) when/where did serving a bowstring begin?
            2) what are the most commonly served strings?
            3) does anyone know of a technique for making a string other than
            Flemish Twist or the more modern continuous loop?
            Samuel

            On 10/1/11 8:32 PM, dirkfrisia wrote:
            > I have been asked to find an answer to the following questions:
            >
            > Was an equivalent device to the modern bowstring server used in the middle ages and/or Renaissance?
            >
            > Is there some documentation of the device if one was used?
            >
            > I gave an honest reply to this - I do not know.
            >
            > Before I dive into the research has anyone done research on this before? Anyone hand wound bow string serving in a period style?

          • Ld.blackmoon
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2011
              greetings

               check the native american bow strings , made from squirrell hide. ; )
              Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
              Arthur
              Good questions! I've been having a good read following the responses.
              I too have a couple questions about strings and servings.
              1) when/where did serving a bowstring begin?
              2) what are the most commonly served strings?
              3) does anyone know of a technique for making a string other than
              Flemish Twist or the more modern continuous loop?
              Samuel

              On 10/1/11 8:32 PM, dirkfrisia wrote:
              > I have been asked to find an answer to the following questions:
              >
              > Was an equivalent device to the modern bowstring server used in the middle ages and/or Renaissance?
              >
              > Is there some documentation of the device if one was used?
              >
              > I gave an honest reply to this - I do not know.
              >
              > Before I dive into the research has anyone done research on this before? Anyone hand wound bow string serving in a period style?

              No virus found in this message.