Re: Archery in Medieval Combat

  • bluecat@neo.rr.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2011
      Richard Johnson asked:

      One question that I would ask....
      When we read the contemporary accounts of these battle, they are usually
      from the victor.
      "We killed 4,000 men at Crecy!"
      "We vanquished 2,000 Scots at Edinbourgh!"
      "One legion vanquished 40,000 Goths in Gaul"
      etc. <snip>
      So, with this in mind,
      When the English report how many French (or Scots or whomever) they killed
      at each battle, what does the other side say? And can we assume that the
      English are Inflating the numbers of the enemy killed to make themselves
      sound ... better?
      <snip>
      I am just curious as to the actual numbers killed by initial clouds and how
      many died later from their wounds.

      You make a good point, but in the example of Agincourt we can read primary witness material from BOTH sides
      that concur in accuracy with each other for the most part.

      While it can be said the victors write the history, it can also be said that good research will reveal as much
      of the truth as can be found. Actual numbers of wounded who subsequently died would be difficult to track,
      while dead on the battle field could be counted.

      All wars being wasteful of human lives, historians have to rely on the evidence available and accept it until
      newer evidence trumps old. That is why it is a social science.

      Dirk Edward of Frisia