Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Mead and the law

  • Derek Estabrook
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 23 9:56 PM
      Thank you, however I was looking for specific source material that is directly applicable, not a legal debate. I have taken business law courses and have a pretty good idea how things work in general. Not a brag in any matter, but if I want legal counsel beyond my limited, specific knowledge I won't seek that online.

      Here is a legal definition of sale
      n. transfer of something (and title to it) in return for money (or other thing of value) on terms agreed upon between buyer and seller. The price paid may be based on a posted cost, established by negotiation between seller and buyer, or by auction with potential buyers bidding until the highest bid is accepted by the seller or his agent (auctioneer).

      Hey, I know from contract law that terms usually need to be specified and you cannot just use blanket terms and then say "Hey you should have known since a minor Act passed during the Revolutionary War referenced the sale of goods and grouped monetary payments with bartering". I'm pretty sure somewhere both the feds and state laws defined things specifically even if based directly on precedent, that precedent should and would usually be cited.

      Oh, and state law is another field altogether and one cannot group it together as its applicability needs to be specifically referenced. Pretty much always. North Carolina definition of sale doesn't mean much to North Dakota and so on typically.

      Oh, and please do not take this the wrong way as this post is not intended to be as harsh as it may come off, just as I'm sure the previous post was not as condescending as it appeared to be either I am sure. I am still interested in specific references to applicable laws, but not in general legal debate about the way the system works as stated before or getting into a base argument.