range practice... maybe OT

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12, 2011

      FINALLY!!!

      Got out to the range.

      Between daughter moving out-of-state (and wrecking two cars i have to pay for), having my own car self0edestruct twice on boating road trips, and dealing with my son being killed (and fighting with the police who are charging me $6,000 for an inconclusive 5 minute investigation) and such, I just have not been in a mood for actually using my bows.

      I have been making a lot of gear, fletching shafts, making bow bags and quivers, even made a leather field fletching jig and have been playing with a thumb-ring I made. All stuff I do in the living room while alone.

      BUT… every time I go someplace, the rangers remind me that archery is not allowed or there is no place safe to shoot (too many rocks).

      And, of course, I have been busy with construction projects every time SCA archery practice happens.  My shrink told me to Accomplish Something so I build things for friends.  Most recently, boat houses for me and an ex-gf.

      So, last night, Shea and I were at the local pagan meet trying to find out about the upcoming festival… NEVER trust a fuzzy-bunny to put on a major festival…   You need anal-retentative people with an attitude to push through the paperwork and organize things and motivate volunteers to actually show up.  No different from any major SCA event!

      Well, some people wanted to talk to Shea but she said she had a date and had to go.

      I asked with whom?  She needs to get out just as I do and there are a couple guys who are interested in her, one a t a lake we occasionally paddle.

      She said, “With you!  Archery!  You promised to take me to the range!”

      Ok… we went by my place to get the bows and then to PSE which  was closed.

      Sabino Range was shut down.

      Bear was closed.  Everything is closed on Sunday!

      So we took a chance and headed to the County Rifle Range.  I seem to remember that I used to go to their range.  It’s on the other side of the Tucson Mountains.

      Well, the range official was near deaf (it was a rifle-range) but told me that they moved the archery range a few miles north but the sign was hidden so watch for it.

      Found the range.. eventually!

      For you people in wetter climes<g>, an outdoor range in the desert is generally a large part of the desert that someone bulldozes flat, then they set up target backgrounds every 10 years across that field.  Then over the years, cactus and  brush and trees pop up and are left alone to grow until it gets too rough, then they bulldoze it again after 20 years or so.

      So the range is mostly flat with rocks all over placed exactly to dull your points and shatter your shafts.

      BUT, the nice thing is that when we arrived at 1pm Sunday, the range was unlocked but the range official had gone home so it was free until they returned at 5 to lock the gate.

      I liked the idea of being the only people there as really, I am so out-of-practice!  It took about three rounds of a dozen arrows each before I was hitting the target regularly.  I do much better when I instinct-shoot.  My sight-picture sucks!

      NOTE: I was using a 30# 6’ Hickory Traditional Longbow I got from GI-Bow,  the one I customized myself  (details at http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com/archery.htm  )

      I also had a 35# 3’ Survival bow from the same company.  Gary Kinsgston was kind enough to make me a string when the company sent the bow without one.  So, Gary, I tested your string… finally, and it works wonderfully. Exactly the right thickness and a little twisting made it the right length.  It also gave me a use for all those short arrows I saved from when the kids were ..small!

      Shea used a 5’ Traditional Longbow from the same company but she hasn’t finished it yet.  Still needs the handle reshaped now that she has tried it a few dozen shafts.

      I spend a few minutes showing Shea the basics and then let her have fun!  We discovered that she needs to go to a shop and get a better vambrace and finger-glove than the loaners I gave her.  Shea was with a Historical Scottish Reenactment group in Minnesota and is looking into SCA but as Scots never let their women hunt, the Enactment Society there was absolutely historical and….  Well, SCA is more politically-liberal than historically-accurate.

      ALSO, there is a desert-hunting range attached.  You go to the far north side of the range and there is a trail. You follow the trail through the brush and cactus until you reach #1 and there is a target!  Then you follow the trail to #2 (which pops out at you) and so on all over the desert.  Some are short range, some much longer as if you were hunting and a rabbit or deer popped out suddenly.   I was wearing Zori so gave up after three targets but I was thinking that would be a great Event!

      1)      using war-points, have the ‘enemy’ hidden along a trail and you have to shoot them before they shoot you.

      2)      Have targets scattered along a winding trail for instinct shooting!

      So, I am happy Shea dragged me out of my funk and happy I got to use some of my bows (I will sell the ones I don’t love) and especially happy we had the range to ourselves.

      Now I have to buy more arrows!

      Also, Mike, a long-time SCA archer, lives exactly 2 miles from that range and never knew it existed. He always drives the 20 miles into town for practice.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2011
        could you guys come to quincy ill if its not to far for you guys im trying to start a shire in quincy and i would like to have a few experinced archers help train the ones that want to learn archery
        thanks

      • archosevrard@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 19, 2011
          Please keep in mind that this list is worldwide and "quincy" can be a town in any state or kingdom. Some more specifics would go a long way towards helping you get more archers!
          With respect,
          Evrard de Valogne
          An Tir
          Shire of Wyewood

          From: Patrick Rice <dark_angel_326725@...>
          Sender: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:40:43 -0700 (PDT)
          To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com<SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] range practice... maybe OT

            From: Patrick Rice <dark_angel_326725@...>
            Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:40:43 -0700 (PDT)

              From: Patrick Rice <dark_angel_326725@...>
              Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:40:43 -0700 (PDT)

              could you guys come to quincy ill if its not to far for you guys im trying to start a shire in qui...