Re: [SCA-Archery] Pennsic Archery Help

  • Dayrl Merrill
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2 10:40 AM
      Natural fletching just means feathers instead of the solid plastic vanes.  If no one else offers a suggestion I make and sell arrows within the SCA.

      Viking Archery Supply,
      Rask Ulfbjorn,

      Dayrl Merrill

      This will be my first time going to Pennsic and I'm greatly excited about going and i am excited about meeting people from other kingdoms who love archery as much as i do. i unfortunately have just recently started doing archery full time again and while reading, it was saying that natural fletchings must be used. where would be a good place or someone good that would sell wood shaft arrows with natural feather fletchings.

      Thanks Jon M.

    • brett wilson
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2 11:09 AM
        The Nocking Point or Three Rivers Archery.  I have had very good luck with the Nocking Point.  www.thenockingpoint.com

        LoCM
        Calontir archer

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2 12:02 PM
          I do a lot of my buying through Three Rivers and have had very good luck with them.

          Mariana
          AEthelmarc archer

          Where are you located? I will be teaching a class this fall on making arrows.

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 4 4:01 PM
            I am located in the kingdom of atlantia in cyddlain downs.
            also three rivers I had noticed was slighlty limited and therefore was looking for a bit of customability in my arrows for the sake of being able to find them easier while shooting with others.

          • rosslchristenson@shaw.ca
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 4 6:01 PM
              We paint small runes or designs just below the fletches in my Shire to identify arrows. Helps a lot.
              Arnbjorn.

              From: Sunshine <taggerung2outcast@...>
              Sender: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 23:01:36 +0000
              To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Pennsic Archery Help

            • bluecat@neo.rr.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 5 6:18 AM
                Cresting your arrows- as in painting colored bands on the shafts to identify your arrows, is a period method
                of identifying your arrows from those of others.

                Creative fletching selection is also a choice.

                Choosing a specific color of nock and using only that color on your arrows will also allow them to be distinctive.

                Dirk Edward of Frisia
              • kburgess1@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 5 7:04 AM
                  or you could go the other way, clear coat finish on the shafts - no cresting - and a single color for the fletchings

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 6 5:36 AM
                    Dirk Edward,
                    First let me say I am NOT a documentation fanatic! Having said that, my reading said that arrows were not crested in period. During war it made little difference whose arrow made the kill, just that it made a kill. For hunting it was often not the Lord's shaft that took the game but one of his beaters. They marked their shafts with their mark so that the one deemed the kill shot got the largest piece of the game (this from Gaston Phoebus' hunting book). I have also seen actual period arrows and bolts in the armor museum in Vienna Austria and do not recall seeing cresting on the shafts. If you have any documentation for cresting I would be most interested in it.

                    Thanks,
                    cog