Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: FW: Moulted Gull Feathers

  • James of the Lake
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 24 9:02 AM
      Closest I've had is a customs officer in New Zealand asking about the fletching on my arrows when arriving in country.  The concern there was the potential of bringing in disease on any animal product that was self-cured or whatever.

      James

      On Aug 24, 2011, at 6:06 AM, brett wilson wrote:

      Has anyone (ever!) had a wildlife and parks officer check the feathers on your arrows!?

      Just sayin'

      LoCM

      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 24 10:39 AM
        Gentlemen & Ladies,

        Years ago while visiting the zoo I picked up an eagle feather outside the bald eagle cage.  I wore it in my cap for years until I eventually lost it.  People around Cleveland have vases with gull feathers in their houses.  An artist friend used to collect glass, stones, wood, and gull feathers from a local city beach and work them into his wands and staffs which he sold through a local gallery.  I have shot for years in city and state parks and I have never seen a ranger except in a patrol car driving past.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 24 11:33 AM
          Gaelen,

          I have requested a price from my goldsmith.  She is a metals snob and works only in gold and silver, but I may be able to talk her into making pendants in bronze.

          As to what level archer you are, that is up to the individual to determine.  Since every SCA kingdom has their own scoring and ranking system and they are not always comparable, we decided to break it down into beginner, intermediate, and advanced.  This roughly corresponds to novice, journeyman and master.  For instance in the Middle Kingdom we have seven ranks based on royal round scores.  I can never keep them all straight and wish there were fewer.  In any case you can divide your kingdoms top royal round or IKAC score by three and use the resulting groups to determine where you are relative to people in other kingdoms.  This is probably the simplest approximation.

          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

          > At 09:57 PM 8/23/2011, you wrote:

          Gladius,

          Two questions

          1. have you a price on what it would cost as a pendant?

          2. Who decides what level archer you are????

          Gaelen

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 24 7:09 PM
            Gaelen,

            As expected my goldsmith refuses to attempt the pendant in bronze.  She quoted a price of $200 for the pendant in silver.  I can make them cheaper in bronze, but I'd need at least 10 orders to cover the mold cost.  In bronze I can cast them for $30 each.

            Jim "Gladius"

            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 24 7:13 PM
              eh I can hold out for a ring at that price

              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 24 7:22 PM
                Can the rings also be cast in bronze?  If so, what would the price be?

                Jon

                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 24 7:30 PM
                  We cast bronze rings for site favors once and gave folks the option of wearing them directly or hanging them from a ribbon.  Many who actually wore them had green bands around their fingers at the end of the day.

                  James

                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 24 7:54 PM
                    Jon,

                    My Greenwood Company ring was cast in bronze.  It was around $20 cheaper than the same ring in silver.  This savings isn't so great since most of the cost is the labor involved in sizing and enameling.  I like it though since it looks like a red gold.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 24 8:00 PM
                      James,

                      Most people will react with copper alloys to produce a green stain on the skin.  I am one of the few people who can wear bronze without any corrosion of the metal.  I wore my ring in the heat and humidity of Pennsic for a week and a half without removing it and I had no reaction at all.  Of course I don't rust steel either, which is helpful when you are a blade smith.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 24 8:10 PM
                        Yeah.  That's why I wipe down any blades I touch before putting them away -- especially my eating knife.  I  corrode susceptible metals pretty badly.  Just wanted to point out the green staining thing with bronze rings -- not a problem for some; relatively unwearable for others.

                        James

                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 26 7:14 AM
                          When Dave Poulin put fingers to keys it was 8/24/11 9:29 AM...

                          > I think you would probably be safe once the feathers are turned into
                          > fletchings and mounted on arrows, the problem would be getting 'out of
                          > the park' with the full feathers when collecting them...
                          > Antony

                          Strip them as you find them. It's easiest when they're fresh anyway.

                          --
                          Fritz
                          Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 26 8:23 AM
                            can anyone provide a review of this company ?

                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-FRP-Hungary-LongBow-Bow-45-ibs-28a-H1-/110721482282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c783be2a

                          • kburgess1@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 27 6:45 PM
                              reply I revived from the on line rep:

                              "Hello friend,

                              This bow hand made which is precise with stable performance and the feel is good when you hold it.Stay dead in hand when you shoot.
                              The Bow body is mad from the high elastic fiber glass which is strong enough, the bow hand and the bow tip is mulberry wood which is wear-resisting.The Bow arm cover with real durable leather.

                              If there's any question,feel free to contact me.
                              Sincerely,
                              powerdeal.ok"

                              Hmmmm  anyone have anything else to add ?

                              bran

                              can anyone provide a review of this company ?

                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-FRP-Hungary-LongBow-Bow-45-ibs-28a-H1-/110721482282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c783be2a

                            • frode_kettilsson
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 28 12:59 PM
                                My "Red Flag-O-Meter just jumped to "7".

                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, kburgess1@... wrote:

                                > reply I revived from the on line rep:
                                >

                                > "Hello friend,
                                >

                                > This bow hand made which is precise...
                                > Hmmmm anyone have anything else to add ?
                                >
                                > bran

                              • Taslen
                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 28 3:22 PM
                                  Or at least english is not his native tounge

                                  Gaelen

                                  My "Red Flag-O-Meter just jumped to "7".

                                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, kburgess1@... wrote:

                                  > reply I revived from the on line rep:
                                  >

                                  > "Hello friend,
                                  >

                                  > This bow hand made which is precise...
                                  > Hmmmm anyone have anything else to add ?
                                  >
                                  > bran

                                • richard johnson
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 29 8:12 AM
                                    Not a native speaker of English.
                                    If i were to buy one, I'd avoid the fiberglass, but THAT is an aesthetic thing and has nothing against fiberglass as i own a number of glass bows.  I just prefer wood for Recreationism.

                                    One thing i will advise, if the company is outside the US (especially if a non West-Europe nation), then you have NO recourse if something goes wrong.
                                    Plus often, international shipping is higher than the cost of the bow.
                                    This from personal and very sad experience.

                                    On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 6:45 PM, <kburgess1@...> wrote:

                                    reply I revived from the on line rep:

                                    "Hello friend,

                                    This bow hand made which is precise with stable performance and the feel is good when you hold it.Stay dead in hand when you shoot.
                                    The Bow body is mad from the high elastic fiber glass which is strong enough, the bow hand and the bow tip is mulberry wood which is wear-resisting.The Bow arm cover with real durable leather.

                                    If there's any question,feel free to contact me.
                                    Sincerely,
                                    powerdeal.ok"

                                    Hmmmm  anyone have anything else to add ?

                                    bran

                                      having never shot one of these bows and finding no one that has i think that i will pass.   maybe they will comp me a couple of bows for testing....