Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: feathers for fletching?

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 24, 2011
      Many thanks.

      Jon

      On Aug 24, 2011, at 7:50 AM, rickj wrote:

      I sent you out a dozen goose feathers in yesterday's mail with a few extra from another, unnamed bird who was kind enough to drop his feathers in my path.

      Remind me next Spring as both Colleen and Margaret have geese adn will be collecting them for me.

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

      > no cost.
      > just give me a mailing address and I'll send out a package, hopefully
      > tomorrow.
      >
      > People on this list are very helpful so I am trying to pass it on.
      >

      > On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Greetings
      > >
      > > That would be most helpful. What is the cost and how can I pay you?
      > >
      > > Jon
      > >
      > > On Aug 21, 2011, at 6:42 PM, richard johnson wrote:
      > >

      > > If you are in a hurry, I can send you a dozen.
      > >

      > --
      > Rick Johnson
      > http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      > "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
      > will soon find that they have neither."

    • rickj
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 25, 2011
        To be honest,

        although I DO fletch my own arrows....
        And i use both feathers and vanes that I buy from the stores.
        ....I have a fletching kit with three differnt jigs, glues, etc....
        ...It is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon....

        I started to collect goose feathers from Colleen for quill pens.

        It is only recently that I considered using those goose feathers for fletching.

        Yes, I have the jigs to convert the feathers to fletching (I made it myself), I just havn't done it yet. Far too many projects and not enough time.

        So...
        I am very interested to see what you, who have far more experience than do I, manage to accomplish.

        If they work, I'll spend every Spring collecting them and spreading them around this e-list as far as i can.

        If not, well, it is worth the effort to learn, one-way-or-the-other.

        > Anyone know where I can find the lowest prices on fletching feathers (turkey or goose), any color. I am also interested in whole wing feathers. I can split, grind and cut my own.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Jon

      • brett wilson
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 25, 2011
          I have been making fletching from feathers for years and have used feathers from many different large avians.  Most work pretty well.  Wild turkey is the best in my opinion.

          LoCM

          And i use both feathers and vanes that I buy from the stores.
          ....I have a fletching kit with three differnt jigs, glues, etc....
          ...It is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon....

          I started to collect goose feathers from Colleen for quill pens.

          It is only recently that I considered using those goose feathers for fletching.

          Yes, I have the jigs to convert the feathers to fletching (I made it myself), I just havn't done it yet. Far too many projects and not enough time.

          So...
          I am very interested to see what you, who have far more experience than do I, manage to accomplish.

          If they work, I'll spend every Spring collecting them and spreading them around this e-list as far as i can.

          If not, well, it is worth the effort to learn, one-way-or-the-other.

          > Anyone know where I can find the lowest prices on fletching feathers (turkey or goose), any color. I am also interested in whole wing feathers. I can split, grind and cut my own.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Jon

        • John Edgerton
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 25, 2011
            Ever try peacock primary feathers?

            Jon

            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 25, 2011
              Yes.  They make beautiful copper colored fletches.  Quite nice.

              LoCM