Re: [SCA-Archery] feathers for fletching?

  • rosslchristenson@shaw.ca
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 22 11:52 AM
      In Canada seagulls were protected by Royal decree; not sure if they still are...
      Arnbjorn

      From: Mark Hendershott <crimlaw@...>
      Sender: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:45:29 -0700
      To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] feathers for fletching?

      Are seagulls a protected species?  Might want to check before using their feathers for fletching.

      Simon Sinneghe
      Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

      At 11:27 AM 8/22/2011, you wrote:

      I'll get my merry men together and gather a bunch of the largest gull feathers on the beach.  These we'll pass on to Merlin to be used as experimental fletching.  I'll leave it to Merlin to report the results.

      Jim, Alchem Inc.

      >  At 09:41 AM 8/22/2011, you wrote:

      I don't see why they would not work.
      Wing feathers are designed the same no matter the species, so long as
      they are large enough.

      Goose and turkey are used, i suspect, because they are everywhere.

      You may have started a thriving business here.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

    • Me
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 22 12:33 PM
        In California and Utah gulls are protected. Not sure about other states.

        Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

        Re: [SCA-Archery] feathers for fletching?

        Seagulls, no!  And after being bitten by one i rescued from a shark-line, ....

        Eagles and Hawks, yes!  Arguing that you found the feather on the ground is no legal defence.

        Pelicans, I do not know.

        --
        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      • Lyle Kirshenbaum
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 22 12:58 PM
          I did a quick and dirty search of "protected birds", and this link popped up.  It is a list of birds protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act.  I don't know how much of this still applies since it was enacted in 1918.

          Under this act, it is against the law to "take" any of these birds.  That includes transporting them or their parts (feathers included) dead, or alive.

          http://www.pacificwildlife.org/info/Online%20Docs/fmbtaList.pdf

          Abraam

          From: Mark Hendershott <crimlaw@...>
          Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:45:29 -0700

          --
          Rick Johnson
          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

        • Joe Klovance
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 22 12:59 PM
            We can discuss what birds may be protected where and how that relates to gathering moulted feathers all day. The only real source of this information is the state wildlife branch. Why not just email them a question? They are usually very happy when people ask before they do something.

            Gryffyd

            To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
            From: wolfharley@...
            Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:33:49 -0700

            --
            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

          • John Rossignol
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 22 11:14 PM
              I have to interject here that there is no species named "seagull".  In fact, taxonomically there is not even a group named "seagulls" (because some of them are not particularly associated with the sea).  Officially (and it is with officialdom that one must deal in this case) they are called "gulls", and there are many different species of them -- Western Gulls, Herring Gulls, California Gulls, etc.  If you wish to check whether a particular species is protected in your state (or in any state to which you plan to take your arrows), you will probably need to do so by the actual species name.

              If *any* of them are protected, I do not recommend using any gull feathers at all as fletching, because it can be extremely difficult for anyone but a trained ornithologist or field agent to tell which species of gull a particular wing feather came from.  Also, gull feathers closely resemble those of other related species such as terns.  The feather you think is safe may actually be from a protected species.

              John
              (B.S. Biological Science, and long-time birder)

              On 8/22/2011 11:45 AM, Mark Hendershott wrote:
                Are seagulls a protected species?  Might want to check before using their feathers for fletching.

            • rickj
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 24 7:50 AM
                I sent you out a dozen goose feathers in yesterday's mail with a few extra from another, unnamed bird who was kind enough to drop his feathers in my path.

                Remind me next Spring as both Colleen and Margaret have geese adn will be collecting them for me.

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

                > no cost.
                > just give me a mailing address and I'll send out a package, hopefully
                > tomorrow.
                >
                > People on this list are very helpful so I am trying to pass it on.
                >

                > On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Greetings
                > >
                > > That would be most helpful. What is the cost and how can I pay you?
                > >
                > > Jon
                > >
                > > On Aug 21, 2011, at 6:42 PM, richard johnson wrote:
                > >

                > > If you are in a hurry, I can send you a dozen.
                > >

                > --
                > Rick Johnson
                > http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                > "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
                > will soon find that they have neither."

              • John Edgerton
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 24 9:01 AM
                  Many thanks.

                  Jon

                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 25 1:02 PM
                    To be honest,

                    although I DO fletch my own arrows....
                    And i use both feathers and vanes that I buy from the stores.
                    ....I have a fletching kit with three differnt jigs, glues, etc....
                    ...It is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon....

                    I started to collect goose feathers from Colleen for quill pens.

                    It is only recently that I considered using those goose feathers for fletching.

                    Yes, I have the jigs to convert the feathers to fletching (I made it myself), I just havn't done it yet. Far too many projects and not enough time.

                    So...
                    I am very interested to see what you, who have far more experience than do I, manage to accomplish.

                    If they work, I'll spend every Spring collecting them and spreading them around this e-list as far as i can.

                    If not, well, it is worth the effort to learn, one-way-or-the-other.

                    > Anyone know where I can find the lowest prices on fletching feathers (turkey or goose), any color. I am also interested in whole wing feathers. I can split, grind and cut my own.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Jon

                  • brett wilson
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 25 1:21 PM
                      I have been making fletching from feathers for years and have used feathers from many different large avians.  Most work pretty well.  Wild turkey is the best in my opinion.

                      LoCM

                      And i use both feathers and vanes that I buy from the stores.
                      ....I have a fletching kit with three differnt jigs, glues, etc....
                      ...It is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon....

                      I started to collect goose feathers from Colleen for quill pens.

                      It is only recently that I considered using those goose feathers for fletching.

                      Yes, I have the jigs to convert the feathers to fletching (I made it myself), I just havn't done it yet. Far too many projects and not enough time.

                      So...
                      I am very interested to see what you, who have far more experience than do I, manage to accomplish.

                      If they work, I'll spend every Spring collecting them and spreading them around this e-list as far as i can.

                      If not, well, it is worth the effort to learn, one-way-or-the-other.

                      > Anyone know where I can find the lowest prices on fletching feathers (turkey or goose), any color. I am also interested in whole wing feathers. I can split, grind and cut my own.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Jon

                    • John Edgerton
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 25 1:42 PM
                        Ever try peacock primary feathers?

                        Jon

                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 25 2:52 PM
                          Yes.  They make beautiful copper colored fletches.  Quite nice.

                          LoCM