feathers for fletching?

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 21, 2011
      Anyone know where I can find the lowest prices on fletching feathers (turkey or goose), any color. I am also interested in whole wing feathers. I can split, grind and cut my own.

      Thanks

      Jon
    • richard johnson
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 21, 2011
        I put the word out for "happy chicken" eggs, people who raised
        chickens in their yard as a hobby.

        Colleen replied and sells me her eggs monthly.
        Then I asked about geese and she got some to raise. Occasionally she
        gets turkey too.
        So now I get from her goose eggs and when they molt in the Spring, she
        collects their wing feathers for me for free.

        So, put the word out, Craigslist, livestock feed stores, etc that you
        are looking for people who raise geese & turkeys and ask them to
        collect the wing feathers for you in the Spring. You have to reminf
        them though as the season is done.

        BUT, be warned, not every feather they provide is worth fletching.
        Since they do not understand the concept, they just collect whatever
        falls on the ground so you have to be grateful for what you get and
        sift through the lot.

        --
        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 21, 2011
          Thank you for the suggestions.

          Jon

          --
          Rick Johnson
          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

        • Dan Martin
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 21, 2011
            The price for feathers at stores who sell them is a rip off. I raise both but not here in States my birds are in  the Philippines. But l do have contacts l will contact folks local here in Okla. Worse price dollar a set all flight feathers. Have any of you for giggles tried duck feathers. They make great flu flu arrows. ans slow down arrow you do not want to go thru your game. Trtuth here l dont shoot any kind of compition but l hunt everything with a bow Deer rabbir squarl in Philippines boa and monkeys. I collect bows and arrows. Feathers can be a problem did you consider crow teal swan racen vulture any non game bird is
            Dan Martin
            Picket Riders
            Veterans and B   kers Civil Rights
            Association Motorcycle Club
            PRVBCRMC
            AmVets 27
            Judge Advacate
            Past Commander
            AL911/AV27
            Office Manager
            AL911/AV Senior Senior Service Officer
            If you can read than a Teacher
            If you can read english thank a Soldier
            A man can live about 40 days without
            Food, 3 days without Water, and 8 minites without
            Air, and one second without Hope.

            --
            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

          • richard johnson
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 21, 2011
              If you are in a hurry, I can send you a dozen.

              Rick Johnson
              http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
            • James Koch
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 21, 2011
                Jon et al,

                Has anyone on this list fletched with gull feathers.  I can pick them up by the thousands at the local beaches.

                Jim, Alchem Inc.

                At 06:12 PM 8/21/2011, you wrote:

                Anyone know where I can find the lowest prices on fletching feathers (turkey or goose), any color. I am also interested in whole wing feathers. I can split, grind and cut my own.

                Thanks

                Jon
              • Edward deWitt
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                  Check with domestic turkey farmers.  Theirs will be white most of the time.  Beware if you are getting them from those that have been retrieved from the processing house.  These may still have meat and blood on them from being plucked.  A friend wanting quills for calligraphy got a 36" sq. box of them from an acquaintance one time.  The box was packed with them.  big problem, they sat on his door step for 2 1/2 weeks in July in Savannah, Ga.  Won't describe the scene.
                  fyi

                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                    I've tried working with domestic turkey feathers.  Domestic turkeys are bred to have lots of meat but not to fly.  The feathers tend to be very thin and not terribly useful.  I got a bunch of them (and yes, they were a mess) from a farmer.  They were not suitable for either quill pens or fletching.

                    Now *wild* turkey feathers... They work great for pens and fletching.

                    Cheers!

                    Robert
                    --
                    "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
                    --Leonardo da Vinci

                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                      I don't see why they would not work.
                      Wing feathers are designed the same no matter the species, so long as
                      they are large enough.

                      Goose and turkey are used, i suspect, because they are everywhere.

                      You may have started a thriving business here.

                      --
                      Rick Johnson
                      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                          Greetings

                          That would be most helpful.  What is the cost and how can I pay you?

                          Jon

                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                            no cost.
                            just give me a mailing address and I'll send out a package, hopefully tomorrow.

                            People on this list are very helpful so I am trying to pass it on.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                              I'll get my merry men together and gather a bunch of the largest gull feathers on the beach.  These we'll pass on to Merlin to be used as experimental fletching.  I'll leave it to Merlin to report the results.

                              Jim, Alchem Inc.

                              --
                              Rick Johnson
                              http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                                I was kayaking the ocean during molting season and picked up a bunch of pelican feathers.  I intended to make them into quill pens but they are still on my shelf.
                                they look much better than goose because they are bigger and stronger.
                                So if gull feathers work, then so should pelican or any large flying bird..

                                note: no eagle!  you can be arrested for possession of a part from a protected animal.

                                --
                                Rick Johnson
                                http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                                Rick Johnson
                                http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                              • Mark Hendershott
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                                  Are seagulls a protected species?  Might want to check before using their feathers for fletching.

                                  Simon Sinneghe
                                  Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

                                  --
                                  Rick Johnson
                                  http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                                • rosslchristenson@shaw.ca
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                                    In Canada seagulls were protected by Royal decree; not sure if they still are...
                                    Arnbjorn

                                    From: Mark Hendershott <crimlaw@...>
                                    Sender: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:45:29 -0700
                                    To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
                                    ReplyTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

                                    --
                                    Rick Johnson
                                    http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                                  • Me
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                                      In some states that includes Gulls.

                                      Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

                                      --
                                      Rick Johnson
                                      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                                      Rick Johnson
                                      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                                    • richard johnson
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                                        Seagulls, no!  And after being bitten by one i rescued from a shark-line, ....

                                        Eagles and Hawks, yes!  Arguing that you found the feather on the ground is no legal defence.

                                        Pelicans, I do not know.

                                        --
                                        Rick Johnson
                                        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                                        Rick Johnson
                                        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                                      • James Koch
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                                          I can't say whether gulls are a protected species in Ohio, but around here they are certainly no endangered.  In any case, I don't plan to shoot and pluck them.  The plan is to pick up the molted feathers from the beach.  My real concern is that most beaches where I have gathered feathers in the past are state parks.  Private beaches are available, but are narrower and provide far fewer feathers.  Most of the local nature preserves will stop people from removing so much as a single acorn, but the recreational parks like the beaches don't seem to mind people gathering feathers.  A state wildlife habitat would likely be a different matter.

                                          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                                          --
                                          Rick Johnson
                                          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                                        • Me
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                                            In California and Utah gulls are protected. Not sure about other states.

                                            --
                                            Rick Johnson
                                            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                                            Rick Johnson
                                            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                                          • Lyle Kirshenbaum
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                                              I did a quick and dirty search of "protected birds", and this link popped up.  It is a list of birds protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act.  I don't know how much of this still applies since it was enacted in 1918.

                                              Under this act, it is against the law to "take" any of these birds.  That includes transporting them or their parts (feathers included) dead, or alive.

                                              http://www.pacificwildlife.org/info/Online%20Docs/fmbtaList.pdf

                                              Abraam

                                              From: Mark Hendershott <crimlaw@...>
                                              Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:45:29 -0700

                                              --
                                              Rick Johnson
                                              http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                                            • Joe Klovance
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                                                We can discuss what birds may be protected where and how that relates to gathering moulted feathers all day. The only real source of this information is the state wildlife branch. Why not just email them a question? They are usually very happy when people ask before they do something.

                                                Gryffyd

                                                To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: wolfharley@...
                                                Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:33:49 -0700

                                                --
                                                Rick Johnson
                                                http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                                                Rick Johnson
                                                http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                                              • John Rossignol
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Aug 22, 2011
                                                  I have to interject here that there is no species named "seagull".  In fact, taxonomically there is not even a group named "seagulls" (because some of them are not particularly associated with the sea).  Officially (and it is with officialdom that one must deal in this case) they are called "gulls", and there are many different species of them -- Western Gulls, Herring Gulls, California Gulls, etc.  If you wish to check whether a particular species is protected in your state (or in any state to which you plan to take your arrows), you will probably need to do so by the actual species name.

                                                  If *any* of them are protected, I do not recommend using any gull feathers at all as fletching, because it can be extremely difficult for anyone but a trained ornithologist or field agent to tell which species of gull a particular wing feather came from.  Also, gull feathers closely resemble those of other related species such as terns.  The feather you think is safe may actually be from a protected species.

                                                  John
                                                  (B.S. Biological Science, and long-time birder)

                                                  On 8/22/2011 11:45 AM, Mark Hendershott wrote:
                                                    Are seagulls a protected species?  Might want to check before using their feathers for fletching.

                                                • rickj
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Aug 24, 2011
                                                    I sent you out a dozen goose feathers in yesterday's mail with a few extra from another, unnamed bird who was kind enough to drop his feathers in my path.

                                                    Remind me next Spring as both Colleen and Margaret have geese adn will be collecting them for me.

                                                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

                                                    > no cost.
                                                    > just give me a mailing address and I'll send out a package, hopefully
                                                    > tomorrow.
                                                    >
                                                    > People on this list are very helpful so I am trying to pass it on.
                                                    >

                                                    > On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > > **
                                                    > >

                                                    > > Greetings
                                                    > >
                                                    > > That would be most helpful. What is the cost and how can I pay you?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Jon
                                                    > >
                                                    > > On Aug 21, 2011, at 6:42 PM, richard johnson wrote:
                                                    > >

                                                    > > If you are in a hurry, I can send you a dozen.
                                                    > >

                                                    > --
                                                    > Rick Johnson
                                                    > http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                                                    > "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
                                                    > will soon find that they have neither."

                                                  • John Edgerton
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Aug 24, 2011
                                                      Many thanks.

                                                      Jon

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Aug 25, 2011
                                                        To be honest,

                                                        although I DO fletch my own arrows....
                                                        And i use both feathers and vanes that I buy from the stores.
                                                        ....I have a fletching kit with three differnt jigs, glues, etc....
                                                        ...It is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon....

                                                        I started to collect goose feathers from Colleen for quill pens.

                                                        It is only recently that I considered using those goose feathers for fletching.

                                                        Yes, I have the jigs to convert the feathers to fletching (I made it myself), I just havn't done it yet. Far too many projects and not enough time.

                                                        So...
                                                        I am very interested to see what you, who have far more experience than do I, manage to accomplish.

                                                        If they work, I'll spend every Spring collecting them and spreading them around this e-list as far as i can.

                                                        If not, well, it is worth the effort to learn, one-way-or-the-other.

                                                        > Anyone know where I can find the lowest prices on fletching feathers (turkey or goose), any color. I am also interested in whole wing feathers. I can split, grind and cut my own.
                                                        >
                                                        > Thanks
                                                        >
                                                        > Jon

                                                      • brett wilson
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Aug 25, 2011
                                                          I have been making fletching from feathers for years and have used feathers from many different large avians.  Most work pretty well.  Wild turkey is the best in my opinion.

                                                          LoCM

                                                          And i use both feathers and vanes that I buy from the stores.
                                                          ....I have a fletching kit with three differnt jigs, glues, etc....
                                                          ...It is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon....

                                                          I started to collect goose feathers from Colleen for quill pens.

                                                          It is only recently that I considered using those goose feathers for fletching.

                                                          Yes, I have the jigs to convert the feathers to fletching (I made it myself), I just havn't done it yet. Far too many projects and not enough time.

                                                          So...
                                                          I am very interested to see what you, who have far more experience than do I, manage to accomplish.

                                                          If they work, I'll spend every Spring collecting them and spreading them around this e-list as far as i can.

                                                          If not, well, it is worth the effort to learn, one-way-or-the-other.

                                                          > Anyone know where I can find the lowest prices on fletching feathers (turkey or goose), any color. I am also interested in whole wing feathers. I can split, grind and cut my own.
                                                          >
                                                          > Thanks
                                                          >
                                                          > Jon

                                                        • John Edgerton
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Aug 25, 2011
                                                            Ever try peacock primary feathers?

                                                            Jon

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Aug 25, 2011
                                                              Yes.  They make beautiful copper colored fletches.  Quite nice.

                                                              LoCM