Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Design For Archery Marshal Rings

  • sabre0link
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
      It's probably a good thing the email I was typing out was eaten by the 'net...

      Heavy uses crossed swords, Equestrian uses crossed lances with a horse head facing out above, and I swear I had seen a Rapier/Light one that had crossed rapiers.

      Crossed arrows is the best choice, following what is used in the other areas.

      What about a sheaf of arrows (a bundle of three arrows), points up? http://www.aeheralds.net/Links/AE_Traceable_Art/IndivPDFs/Arrow_sheaf_of.pdf

      Or, add a roundel above the crossed arrows? (to be a target)...

      Just options to make it different from the Army Special Forces logo...

      Adelaide
      Meridies
    • John Edgerton
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
        Kind of a toss up, but I would go with red.

        Jon

        On Aug 17, 2011, at 2:09 PM, James Koch wrote:

        Gentlemen & Ladies,

        What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      • Ld.blackmoon
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
          greetings

          like i said , i like them in several forms, but i caught a lot of flak because of some people that had never been in the military saying it was used as part of  one the special forces emblems, and therefore i had no right to use anything that remotely resembled it : (

          Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
          Arthur
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
            greetings

            red is ok ,
            i personaly prefer black, ; )  but i'm known for being opinionated ; )
            Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
            Arthur
            What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

            Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

            >  At 04:44 PM 8/17/2011, you wrote:

            Agree.... Crossed arrows.

            Jon
            On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:22 AM, James Koch wrote:

            Gentlemen & Ladies,

            Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
            archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
            arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
            across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
            be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

            We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
            was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
            in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
            and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
            to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
            and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

            What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

            Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

            No virus found in this message.

          • Joe Klovance
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
              This just shows how uninformed many people are. The badge of the US Special Forces is this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Us-special_forces.svg
              The badge of the 1st Special Forces Regiment is as follows; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SpecialForces_Badge.svg
              The badge is much more complex than crossed arrows. It is very difficult to confuse a plain crossed arrows with that badge.

              The crossed arrows is also already used in conjunction with SCA archer. The badge for the An Tir Royal Archer is as follows; http://antir.sca.org/Offices/OfficeBadges/archer.gif

              Gryffyd ap Llylewyn
            • loreleiElkins@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                ooOOOoo.....Lorelei GREENleafe approves.

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011

                  Aye I agree with what about having " Archery Marshal"

                  Gaelen OGrady

                  Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011

                    Actually Gyffyd, plain gold crossed arrows ARE the ‘branch insignia’ of Special Forces personnel, worn on their collars: http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/armybranches/blsf.htm   It seems you were right about uninformed people ; )

                    That being pointed out, I don’t think any reasonable person would be offended that an archery marshal emblem resembles one of the Special Forces emblems.  In fact, there is probably some knight rolling over in his tomb, cursing out the Special Forces for stealing his heraldic charge : )

                    Hawken

                    The badge is much more complex than crossed arrows. It is very difficult to confuse a plain crossed arrows with that badge.

                    The crossed arrows is also already used in conjunction with SCA archer. The badge for the An Tir Royal Archer is as follows; http://antir.sca.org/Offices/OfficeBadges/archer.gif

                    Gryffyd ap Llylewyn

                  • Robert Maddison

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 18, 2011

                        >Hello, from the Wild West (Western Australia).
                        >
                        >Suggestion: if you have (upload) access to a web site, why do you not
                        >put up proposed images, and post a link to the proposed images, so
                        >that people can see the prospective images?
                        >
                        >I think it would make the visualisation, a bit easier.
                        >
                        >--
                        >Oblio the Heretic, of Abertwidr
                        >Per fructu, non folii

                        Oblio,

                        That is actually a good idea. Here are a couple
                        examples. http://www.alcheminc.com/archrings.html You have to
                        scroll to the bottom of the page to see them. The one on the left is
                        a possible archery marshals ring. On the right is a ring for an
                        archery marshal who is also a member of the Order of Saggitarius. Of
                        course the lettering on an actual rung would be less modern.

                        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
                      • Taslen
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 18, 2011
                          I like it but I still want it in a pendant

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 18, 2011
                            We can do pendants.  In fact those would be cheaper since they don't have to be silver or gold since they won't be worn against the skin.