Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Design For Archery Marshal Rings

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
      Gentlemen & Ladies,

      What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >  At 04:44 PM 8/17/2011, you wrote:

      Agree.... Crossed arrows.

      Jon
      On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:22 AM, James Koch wrote:

      Gentlemen & Ladies,

      Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
      archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
      arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
      across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
      be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

      We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
      was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
      in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
      and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
      to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
      and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

      What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

    • sabre0link
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
        It's probably a good thing the email I was typing out was eaten by the 'net...

        Heavy uses crossed swords, Equestrian uses crossed lances with a horse head facing out above, and I swear I had seen a Rapier/Light one that had crossed rapiers.

        Crossed arrows is the best choice, following what is used in the other areas.

        What about a sheaf of arrows (a bundle of three arrows), points up? http://www.aeheralds.net/Links/AE_Traceable_Art/IndivPDFs/Arrow_sheaf_of.pdf

        Or, add a roundel above the crossed arrows? (to be a target)...

        Just options to make it different from the Army Special Forces logo...

        Adelaide
        Meridies
      • Dearg Ailfredsson
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
          Green!!!

          Dearg.
          >>------>

          Lord Úlfr Rauðskeggr (Dearg) AOA CSO
          (Yule-fur Rowth-skegg-er) "Wolf Red beard"
          11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell]
          a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
          Leather Craftsman, Archer, Huntsman and Target Archery M.I.T.
          The Barony of Fenix
          Paid SCA member since 2003

          When you stop challenging yourself, that's as good as you'll ever be.

          What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

          >  At 04:44 PM 8/17/2011, you wrote:

          Agree.... Crossed arrows.

          Jon
          On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:22 AM, James Koch wrote:

          Gentlemen & Ladies,

          Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
          archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
          arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
          across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
          be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

          We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
          was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
          in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
          and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
          to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
          and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

          What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

        • John Edgerton
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
            Kind of a toss up, but I would go with red.

            Jon

            On Aug 17, 2011, at 2:09 PM, James Koch wrote:

            Gentlemen & Ladies,

            What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

            Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

          • Ld.blackmoon
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
              greetings

              like i said , i like them in several forms, but i caught a lot of flak because of some people that had never been in the military saying it was used as part of  one the special forces emblems, and therefore i had no right to use anything that remotely resembled it : (

              Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
              Arthur
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                greetings

                red is ok ,
                i personaly prefer black, ; )  but i'm known for being opinionated ; )
                Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                Arthur
                What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

                Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                >  At 04:44 PM 8/17/2011, you wrote:

                Agree.... Crossed arrows.

                Jon
                On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:22 AM, James Koch wrote:

                Gentlemen & Ladies,

                Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
                archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
                arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
                across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
                be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

                We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
                was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
                in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
                and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
                to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
                and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

                What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

                Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                No virus found in this message.

              • Joe Klovance
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                  This just shows how uninformed many people are. The badge of the US Special Forces is this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Us-special_forces.svg
                  The badge of the 1st Special Forces Regiment is as follows; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SpecialForces_Badge.svg
                  The badge is much more complex than crossed arrows. It is very difficult to confuse a plain crossed arrows with that badge.

                  The crossed arrows is also already used in conjunction with SCA archer. The badge for the An Tir Royal Archer is as follows; http://antir.sca.org/Offices/OfficeBadges/archer.gif

                  Gryffyd ap Llylewyn
                • loreleiElkins@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                    ooOOOoo.....Lorelei GREENleafe approves.

                    What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

                    Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                    >  At 04:44 PM 8/17/2011, you wrote:

                    Agree.... Crossed arrows.

                    Jon
                    On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:22 AM, James Koch wrote:

                    Gentlemen & Ladies,

                    Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
                    archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
                    arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
                    across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
                    be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

                    We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
                    was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
                    in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
                    and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
                    to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
                    and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

                    What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

                    Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                  • Taslen
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011

                      Aye I agree with what about having " Archery Marshal"

                      Gaelen OGrady

                      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011

                        Actually Gyffyd, plain gold crossed arrows ARE the ‘branch insignia’ of Special Forces personnel, worn on their collars: http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/armybranches/blsf.htm   It seems you were right about uninformed people ; )

                        That being pointed out, I don’t think any reasonable person would be offended that an archery marshal emblem resembles one of the Special Forces emblems.  In fact, there is probably some knight rolling over in his tomb, cursing out the Special Forces for stealing his heraldic charge : )

                        Hawken

                        The badge is much more complex than crossed arrows. It is very difficult to confuse a plain crossed arrows with that badge.

                        The crossed arrows is also already used in conjunction with SCA archer. The badge for the An Tir Royal Archer is as follows; http://antir.sca.org/Offices/OfficeBadges/archer.gif

                        Gryffyd ap Llylewyn

                      • Robert Maddison

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 18, 2011

                            >Hello, from the Wild West (Western Australia).
                            >
                            >Suggestion: if you have (upload) access to a web site, why do you not
                            >put up proposed images, and post a link to the proposed images, so
                            >that people can see the prospective images?
                            >
                            >I think it would make the visualisation, a bit easier.
                            >
                            >--
                            >Oblio the Heretic, of Abertwidr
                            >Per fructu, non folii

                            Oblio,

                            That is actually a good idea. Here are a couple
                            examples. http://www.alcheminc.com/archrings.html You have to
                            scroll to the bottom of the page to see them. The one on the left is
                            a possible archery marshals ring. On the right is a ring for an
                            archery marshal who is also a member of the Order of Saggitarius. Of
                            course the lettering on an actual rung would be less modern.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 18, 2011
                              I like it but I still want it in a pendant

                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 18, 2011
                                We can do pendants.  In fact those would be cheaper since they don't have to be silver or gold since they won't be worn against the skin.