Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Design For Archery Marshal Rings

  • Dearg Ailfredsson
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
      I vote for the crossed arrows.

      Dearg.
      >>------>

      Lord Úlfr Rauðskeggr (Dearg) AOA CSO
      (Yule-fur Rowth-skegg-er) "Wolf Red beard"
      11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell]
      a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
      Leather Craftsman, Archer, Huntsman and Target Archery M.I.T.
      The Barony of Fenix
      Paid SCA member since 2003

      When you stop challenging yourself, that's as good as you'll ever be.

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
        Arthur,

        If the field color around the arrows is bright red would that make the design different enough from the special forces symbol?  What about adding the letters SCA or some other symbol or sign?

        I suppose whatever design is eventually chosen, it will conflict with some other groups charge.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

        >At 03:47 PM 8/17/2011, you wrote:

        greetings

        while I personally like the crossed arrows designs I have seen, when I proposed using them as a site token or marshal emblem for an archery only event ,
        you would have sworn I was Hitler reborn and as un American as anyone could possibly get because I dare suggest using something some people perceived as being reserved only for members of the us special forces. and thereby disrespecting the us military .......

        so , don't be surprised if you get some negative feedback : (

        Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
        Arthur

        Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
        archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
        arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
        across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
        be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

        We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
        was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
        in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
        and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
        to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
        and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

        What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

        No virus found in this message.

      • John Edgerton

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
            Gentlemen & Ladies,

            What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

            Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

            >  At 04:44 PM 8/17/2011, you wrote:

            Agree.... Crossed arrows.

            Jon
            On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:22 AM, James Koch wrote:

            Gentlemen & Ladies,

            Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
            archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
            arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
            across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
            be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

            We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
            was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
            in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
            and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
            to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
            and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

            What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

            Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

          • sabre0link
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
              It's probably a good thing the email I was typing out was eaten by the 'net...

              Heavy uses crossed swords, Equestrian uses crossed lances with a horse head facing out above, and I swear I had seen a Rapier/Light one that had crossed rapiers.

              Crossed arrows is the best choice, following what is used in the other areas.

              What about a sheaf of arrows (a bundle of three arrows), points up? http://www.aeheralds.net/Links/AE_Traceable_Art/IndivPDFs/Arrow_sheaf_of.pdf

              Or, add a roundel above the crossed arrows? (to be a target)...

              Just options to make it different from the Army Special Forces logo...

              Adelaide
              Meridies
            • Dearg Ailfredsson
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                Green!!!

                Dearg.

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                  Kind of a toss up, but I would go with red.

                  Jon

                  On Aug 17, 2011, at 2:09 PM, James Koch wrote:

                  Gentlemen & Ladies,

                  What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

                  Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                • Ld.blackmoon
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                    greetings

                    like i said , i like them in several forms, but i caught a lot of flak because of some people that had never been in the military saying it was used as part of  one the special forces emblems, and therefore i had no right to use anything that remotely resembled it : (

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                      greetings

                      red is ok ,
                      i personaly prefer black, ; )  but i'm known for being opinionated ; )
                      Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                      Arthur
                      What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

                      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                      >  At 04:44 PM 8/17/2011, you wrote:

                      Agree.... Crossed arrows.

                      Jon
                      On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:22 AM, James Koch wrote:

                      Gentlemen & Ladies,

                      Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
                      archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
                      arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
                      across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
                      be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

                      We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
                      was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
                      in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
                      and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
                      to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
                      and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

                      What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

                      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                      No virus found in this message.

                    • Joe Klovance
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                        This just shows how uninformed many people are. The badge of the US Special Forces is this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Us-special_forces.svg
                        The badge of the 1st Special Forces Regiment is as follows; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SpecialForces_Badge.svg
                        The badge is much more complex than crossed arrows. It is very difficult to confuse a plain crossed arrows with that badge.

                        The crossed arrows is also already used in conjunction with SCA archer. The badge for the An Tir Royal Archer is as follows; http://antir.sca.org/Offices/OfficeBadges/archer.gif

                        Gryffyd ap Llylewyn
                      • loreleiElkins@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                          ooOOOoo.....Lorelei GREENleafe approves.

                          What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

                          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                          >  At 04:44 PM 8/17/2011, you wrote:

                          Agree.... Crossed arrows.

                          Jon
                          On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:22 AM, James Koch wrote:

                          Gentlemen & Ladies,

                          Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
                          archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
                          arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
                          across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
                          be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

                          We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
                          was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
                          in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
                          and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
                          to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
                          and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

                          What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

                          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                        • Taslen
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011

                            Aye I agree with what about having " Archery Marshal"

                            Gaelen OGrady

                            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011

                              Actually Gyffyd, plain gold crossed arrows ARE the ‘branch insignia’ of Special Forces personnel, worn on their collars: http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/armybranches/blsf.htm   It seems you were right about uninformed people ; )

                              That being pointed out, I don’t think any reasonable person would be offended that an archery marshal emblem resembles one of the Special Forces emblems.  In fact, there is probably some knight rolling over in his tomb, cursing out the Special Forces for stealing his heraldic charge : )

                              Hawken

                              The badge is much more complex than crossed arrows. It is very difficult to confuse a plain crossed arrows with that badge.

                              The crossed arrows is also already used in conjunction with SCA archer. The badge for the An Tir Royal Archer is as follows; http://antir.sca.org/Offices/OfficeBadges/archer.gif

                              Gryffyd ap Llylewyn

                            • Robert Maddison

                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 18, 2011

                                  >Hello, from the Wild West (Western Australia).
                                  >
                                  >Suggestion: if you have (upload) access to a web site, why do you not
                                  >put up proposed images, and post a link to the proposed images, so
                                  >that people can see the prospective images?
                                  >
                                  >I think it would make the visualisation, a bit easier.
                                  >
                                  >--
                                  >Oblio the Heretic, of Abertwidr
                                  >Per fructu, non folii

                                  Oblio,

                                  That is actually a good idea. Here are a couple
                                  examples. http://www.alcheminc.com/archrings.html You have to
                                  scroll to the bottom of the page to see them. The one on the left is
                                  a possible archery marshals ring. On the right is a ring for an
                                  archery marshal who is also a member of the Order of Saggitarius. Of
                                  course the lettering on an actual rung would be less modern.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 18, 2011
                                    I like it but I still want it in a pendant

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 18, 2011
                                      We can do pendants.  In fact those would be cheaper since they don't have to be silver or gold since they won't be worn against the skin.