Some numbers from the SCA census.

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 16, 2011
      Some interesting numbers taken from the SCA Census.

      Jon
      *******************

      Q19. Which one primary SCA activity do you participate in most often or most seriously?

      Out of 14,123 responding
      Armored combat—2,608  (18%)

      Other Martial Activities
      Rapier-------------- 1,139
      Archery----------------783
      CA-------------------------78
      Equestrian------------150
      TW------------------------126
      Total ----------------  2,276  (16%)

      Q29. Which of the following awards have you received?

      Peerage total --------2,259 (Some would have received more than one peerage.)
      Armored ------------------589  (26%)  Peerages given for armored combat

      Other martial--------------13  (.006%) Peerages given for other martial activities such as: Rapier. Target or combat archery. Equestrian. Siege. Thrown weapons.

      Of the 2,608 that participated seriously in armored combat, 589 or 23% received a peerage for armored combat.

      Of the 2,276 that participated seriously in other martial activities, 13 or .006% received a peerage for other martial activities.
    • John Edgerton

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 16, 2011
          <sirjon1@...> wrote:

          > Correction. Regarding the 13 people that received peerage for other martial activities... it should be .6% not .006%
          /
          /
          so does this make me part of the TOP .6% ?
          Smile
          Damales O.L. (Horsemanship).
        • John Edgerton
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 16, 2011
            So it seems. :-)

            Jon
            On Aug 16, 2011, at 9:35 PM, Damales wrote:

            <sirjon1@...> wrote:

            > Correction. Regarding the 13 people that received peerage for other martial activities... it should be .6% not .006%
            /
            /
            so does this make me part of the TOP .6% ?
            Smile
            Damales O.L. (Horsemanship).

          • James Koch
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
              Gentlemen & Ladies,

              Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
              archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
              arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
              across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
              be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

              We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
              was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
              in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
              and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
              to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
              and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

              What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

              Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
            • Ld.blackmoon
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                greetings

                while I personally like the crossed arrows designs I have seen, when I proposed using them as a site token or marshal emblem for an archery only event ,
                you would have sworn I was Hitler reborn and as un American as anyone could possibly get because I dare suggest using something some people perceived as being reserved only for members of the us special forces. and thereby disrespecting the us military .......

                so , don't be surprised if you get some negative feedback : (

                Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                Arthur

                Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
                archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
                arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
                across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
                be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

                We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
                was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
                in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
                and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
                to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
                and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

                What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

                Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                No virus found in this message.

              • loreleiElkins@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                  I loved the crossed arrows.  That has my vote.  It is what we use unofficially on marshals tabards and favors.

                  Lorelei Greenleafe, Atlantia

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                    I vote for the crossed arrows.

                    Dearg.
                    >>------>

                    Lord Úlfr Rauðskeggr (Dearg) AOA CSO
                    (Yule-fur Rowth-skegg-er) "Wolf Red beard"
                    11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell]
                    a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
                    Leather Craftsman, Archer, Huntsman and Target Archery M.I.T.
                    The Barony of Fenix
                    Paid SCA member since 2003

                    When you stop challenging yourself, that's as good as you'll ever be.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                      Arthur,

                      If the field color around the arrows is bright red would that make the design different enough from the special forces symbol?  What about adding the letters SCA or some other symbol or sign?

                      I suppose whatever design is eventually chosen, it will conflict with some other groups charge.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                          Gentlemen & Ladies,

                          What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

                          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                          >  At 04:44 PM 8/17/2011, you wrote:

                          Agree.... Crossed arrows.

                          Jon
                          On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:22 AM, James Koch wrote:

                          Gentlemen & Ladies,

                          Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
                          archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
                          arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
                          across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
                          be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

                          We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
                          was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
                          in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
                          and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
                          to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
                          and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

                          What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

                          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                        • sabre0link
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                            It's probably a good thing the email I was typing out was eaten by the 'net...

                            Heavy uses crossed swords, Equestrian uses crossed lances with a horse head facing out above, and I swear I had seen a Rapier/Light one that had crossed rapiers.

                            Crossed arrows is the best choice, following what is used in the other areas.

                            What about a sheaf of arrows (a bundle of three arrows), points up? http://www.aeheralds.net/Links/AE_Traceable_Art/IndivPDFs/Arrow_sheaf_of.pdf

                            Or, add a roundel above the crossed arrows? (to be a target)...

                            Just options to make it different from the Army Special Forces logo...

                            Adelaide
                            Meridies
                          • Dearg Ailfredsson
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                              Green!!!

                              Dearg.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                                Kind of a toss up, but I would go with red.

                                Jon

                                On Aug 17, 2011, at 2:09 PM, James Koch wrote:

                                Gentlemen & Ladies,

                                What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

                                Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                              • Ld.blackmoon
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                                  greetings

                                  like i said , i like them in several forms, but i caught a lot of flak because of some people that had never been in the military saying it was used as part of  one the special forces emblems, and therefore i had no right to use anything that remotely resembled it : (

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                                    greetings

                                    red is ok ,
                                    i personaly prefer black, ; )  but i'm known for being opinionated ; )
                                    Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                                    Arthur
                                    What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

                                    Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                                    >  At 04:44 PM 8/17/2011, you wrote:

                                    Agree.... Crossed arrows.

                                    Jon
                                    On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:22 AM, James Koch wrote:

                                    Gentlemen & Ladies,

                                    Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
                                    archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
                                    arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
                                    across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
                                    be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

                                    We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
                                    was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
                                    in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
                                    and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
                                    to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
                                    and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

                                    What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

                                    Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                                    No virus found in this message.

                                  • Joe Klovance
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                                      This just shows how uninformed many people are. The badge of the US Special Forces is this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Us-special_forces.svg
                                      The badge of the 1st Special Forces Regiment is as follows; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SpecialForces_Badge.svg
                                      The badge is much more complex than crossed arrows. It is very difficult to confuse a plain crossed arrows with that badge.

                                      The crossed arrows is also already used in conjunction with SCA archer. The badge for the An Tir Royal Archer is as follows; http://antir.sca.org/Offices/OfficeBadges/archer.gif

                                      Gryffyd ap Llylewyn
                                    • loreleiElkins@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011
                                        ooOOOoo.....Lorelei GREENleafe approves.

                                        What about the background enamel color?  Is red acceptable?  The silver arrows will show up great on a bright red background.  The red will also be visible from a distance.  Other options are black, green, yellow, or orange.  Blue and purple are taken and white doesn't provide good contrast for the silver arrows.

                                        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                                        >  At 04:44 PM 8/17/2011, you wrote:

                                        Agree.... Crossed arrows.

                                        Jon
                                        On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:22 AM, James Koch wrote:

                                        Gentlemen & Ladies,

                                        Now that Pennsic is past, I can devote some time to designing the
                                        archery marshal rings. Some kingdoms have their own archery marshal
                                        arms, but it is my hope to come up with a design which is acceptable
                                        across the SCA. This will keep the cost of the rings down since I'll
                                        be able to make just one pattern and wax mold.

                                        We are already making the rings with the single pheon. My thought
                                        was to make a ring with two crossed arrows for the marshals. This is
                                        in keeping with the crossed swords of the armored combatant marshals
                                        and the crossed rapiers of the fencing marshals. Another option is
                                        to simply enamel the single pheon ring with a red shield background
                                        and a colored pheon to indicate a marshal.

                                        What are other people's thoughts and preferences?

                                        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                                      • Taslen
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011

                                          Aye I agree with what about having " Archery Marshal"

                                          Gaelen OGrady

                                          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 17, 2011

                                            Actually Gyffyd, plain gold crossed arrows ARE the ‘branch insignia’ of Special Forces personnel, worn on their collars: http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/armybranches/blsf.htm   It seems you were right about uninformed people ; )

                                            That being pointed out, I don’t think any reasonable person would be offended that an archery marshal emblem resembles one of the Special Forces emblems.  In fact, there is probably some knight rolling over in his tomb, cursing out the Special Forces for stealing his heraldic charge : )

                                            Hawken

                                            The badge is much more complex than crossed arrows. It is very difficult to confuse a plain crossed arrows with that badge.

                                            The crossed arrows is also already used in conjunction with SCA archer. The badge for the An Tir Royal Archer is as follows; http://antir.sca.org/Offices/OfficeBadges/archer.gif

                                            Gryffyd ap Llylewyn

                                          • Robert Maddison

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 18, 2011

                                                >Hello, from the Wild West (Western Australia).
                                                >
                                                >Suggestion: if you have (upload) access to a web site, why do you not
                                                >put up proposed images, and post a link to the proposed images, so
                                                >that people can see the prospective images?
                                                >
                                                >I think it would make the visualisation, a bit easier.
                                                >
                                                >--
                                                >Oblio the Heretic, of Abertwidr
                                                >Per fructu, non folii

                                                Oblio,

                                                That is actually a good idea. Here are a couple
                                                examples. http://www.alcheminc.com/archrings.html You have to
                                                scroll to the bottom of the page to see them. The one on the left is
                                                a possible archery marshals ring. On the right is a ring for an
                                                archery marshal who is also a member of the Order of Saggitarius. Of
                                                course the lettering on an actual rung would be less modern.

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 18, 2011
                                                  I like it but I still want it in a pendant

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Aug 18, 2011
                                                    We can do pendants.  In fact those would be cheaper since they don't have to be silver or gold since they won't be worn against the skin.