Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 316

  • Haynes
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2000
      ref your posting on interesting bodkins, this is my first posting since
      signing up. I am an amateur blacksmith just starting up in the Michigan
      thumb area. I have about 2 dozen bodkins that I am taking with me to the
      Tyger hunt being held this weekend. I plan on taking a picture before
      going so I can scan it . I've made these from re-rod and have had some
      difficulty in closing off the socket portions due to the high carbon
      content of the metal but they do hammer out easily enough and am able to
      make about 3 an hour at my current rate. So far I have made the shorter
      type points as well as some needle point varieties, would have been at
      the event by now if my day off request from work hadn't been denied...
    • Scott Jaqua
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2000
        Ah!,

        But will you be inclined to sell some of your work. At three an hour, depending on what you want to pay yourself, they could fall in the realm of something I would be willing to pay for.

        Njall Olaf Hagerson

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2000
          A question to the group - would it be possible to forge bodkin points,
          leaving the socket area a solid cylinder, and then cherry out a 5 degree
          taper?

          Ragnar Ketilsson