Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: A Center Shot Stone Bow?

  • alchem@en.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 14, 2011
      I considered making one.  The plan was to make a take down longbow with two different handles and strings, one set for arrows and one for pellets.  I even considered a removable rest for the stone bow to allow it to shoot arrows.  Then I got busy making blowguns.  In Europe during the Middle Ages blowguns were used to shoot pellets in addition to darts like large caliber pea shoorters.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      http://www.adrax.com/watsons/stonebow.htm

      > In the Twelfth Night, Act 2, Scene 5, Shakespeare even mentions one as an
      > appropriate tool for putting out someone's eye.
      >
      > I've seen references to hand-stonebows, and seen a copy of your
      > illumination tidbit before. I know of no one modern who makes one, nor
      > has attempted to make one, and I suspect they would be very hazardous to
      > shoot.
      >
      > Generally they were used to hunt birds, and it is believed that the
      > preferred ammunition was clay balls, rather than stones, for accuracy
      > purposes.
      >
      > Logan
      >
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Dearg Ailfredsson
      > <thefenixhuntsman@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> The bow shown is a 'Center Shot Stone Bow' from a painting dated about
      >> 1440 AD.
      >>
      >> It
      >> is interesting to note the split bowstring shown, as this type of
      >> bowstring/cable set-up has recently been used on the modern Compound
      >> Bows to do away with using the usual cable guard set-up.Does anyone have
      >> anymore info on this bow?
      >> This is all I could find.
      >>

      >> Dearg.
      >>
      >>------>