Re: [SCA-Archery] bow marking question.

  • Bill Tait
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2011
      AMO 68" (length of the bow, per Archery Manufacturers Organization)
      35# @ 28" draw length
      H - unsure.

      Other markings are often serial or model numbers.

      William

      On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Sam Wise <sam-wise1@...> wrote:

      I recently got a bow at an antique store that has some markings on the
      back. The markings are:

      AO (possibly 0?)
      68
      35
      28'

      10
      1

      The mark beside the 28 is about 3/4 the height of the 28 and super-scripted.

      Does anyone have any clue what they might mean?
      The 68 is, most likely, the overall length of the bow.
      The rest of the numbers I don't know.
      Samuel

    • Sam Wise
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2011
        Thank you.
        Samuel

      • alchem@en.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 14, 2011
          I considered making one.  The plan was to make a take down longbow with two different handles and strings, one set for arrows and one for pellets.  I even considered a removable rest for the stone bow to allow it to shoot arrows.  Then I got busy making blowguns.  In Europe during the Middle Ages blowguns were used to shoot pellets in addition to darts like large caliber pea shoorters.

          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

          http://www.adrax.com/watsons/stonebow.htm

          > In the Twelfth Night, Act 2, Scene 5, Shakespeare even mentions one as an
          > appropriate tool for putting out someone's eye.
          >
          > I've seen references to hand-stonebows, and seen a copy of your
          > illumination tidbit before. I know of no one modern who makes one, nor
          > has attempted to make one, and I suspect they would be very hazardous to
          > shoot.
          >
          > Generally they were used to hunt birds, and it is believed that the
          > preferred ammunition was clay balls, rather than stones, for accuracy
          > purposes.
          >
          > Logan
          >
          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Dearg Ailfredsson
          > <thefenixhuntsman@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> The bow shown is a 'Center Shot Stone Bow' from a painting dated about
          >> 1440 AD.
          >>
          >> It
          >> is interesting to note the split bowstring shown, as this type of
          >> bowstring/cable set-up has recently been used on the modern Compound
          >> Bows to do away with using the usual cable guard set-up.Does anyone have
          >> anymore info on this bow?
          >> This is all I could find.
          >>

          >> Dearg.
          >>
          >>------>