Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Our tournament and shoot-off -- addendum

Expand Messages
  • Da
    I had neglected to note that, for the night shoot, we lit Tiki torches to mark the shooting lines and at the sides of the castle. Also, taped glowsticks work
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2011
      I had neglected to note that, for the night shoot, we lit Tiki torches to mark the shooting lines and at the sides of the castle. Also, taped glowsticks work fine on arrows for night shoots -- just make sure to mount them on the cockfeather side, and not up near the point.


      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Da" <tdba1@...> wrote:
      > At Northern Regional War Camp, July 4th weekend, we had a three-part tournament -- a Friday night shoot, a Saturday daylight shoot, and a Saturday "invitational" championship combining the best archers from both. The night & day shoots were done as "by command" graduated attacks against a castle. All looses were with six arrows: We opened the attack with a clout at the castle (110 yds) -- points were given for hitting any of the eight castle guards in front of the castle and the six guards inside the castle proper; the first step-attack was a shoot from the original clout line at "mini-approaching warrior" targets at 15 yards (two groups of four targets designated as enemy "outposts"); the archers then advanced the shooting line to the outposts and shot at a patrol of seven mini's at 20 yds; the archers then advanced to the patrol location and shot at 18 full-size approaching warriors at 50 yards; then the archers advanced to the approaching warrior location and shot at the castle itself -- the eight full-size approaching warrior castle guards, six popup targets on the walls, and a full-size warrior behind each of the two arrow-slit windows flanking a wooden drawbridge. Because the drawbridge was wood (which might break arrows), it was not part of the archery attack. Technically. Anyway, the draw-bridge was not lowered during the night attack -- this attack was only to "probe and test the enemy defenses." It was the same attack during daylight on Saturday except, after the initial castle attack, we temporarily withdrew the archers and brought in thrown-weapons experts to attack the wooden drawbridge and two wooden castle guards -- because we restricted the thrown weapons to axes and knives, (no spears or javelins) they didn't actually break the drawbridge or wood warriors, but some of them did stick, dent, or damage them. Also, at least one axe and two knives stuck into our foam-board castle -- the others that hit the castle just bounced off. After some 20 minutes, the thrown weapons and archery marshals declared the drawbridge had been destroyed, they retrieved the thrown weapons, and pulled down the drawbridge by an attached rope (we didn't bother with pulleys). The archers then re-approached the castle and shot through the doorway at the six castle defenders inside and their commander (who, ironically, was a four-feet tall foam-board green dragon -- I'm just saying). Only the archery marshals were allowed to enter the castle to retrieve arrows mainly because the structure was held up by a system of guidelines.
      > Points from both shoots were considered for the "Invitational Tournament Championship" that followed the daylight attack. That's because not everyone could be present to shoot both parts -- some gentles were involved in torchlight heavylist battles on Friday, others didn't arrive at camp until until Saturday, and so on. I decided that high scores from either attack would be an automatic entry into the championship, but, at my assisting-marshals request, we also invited a youth who had done some fine shooting by chance or effort. Eighteen archers took part overall, nine were "invited" to shoot the overall championship.
      > The championship shoot-off started at the standard 20-yd target -- each archer shot two arrows and, with each round, the two arrows that were furthest from the center were eliminated. We repeated this until four archers remained -- two archers had only one arrow left, two had both. These four archers then similarly shot their remaining arrows at the 30yd target, until only two archers remained. These last two shot at the 40yd target and with only one arrow to be eliminated until winner. For us, one archer had both arrows left, the other only one. The archer with two chances won. However, the set-up of this shoot-off actually would have allowed an archer who had only one arrow left, even after the initial round, to have won the tournament.
      > Later, at Royal Court, we were allowed to present the prizes to the winners of the night, day, and overall championship shoots...it was good that, from the start, we instituted a "rule" that the winners could only claim one prize. Good thing, too -- the archer who won the final shoot-off had also won the daylight attack, so he ceded that prize to the daylight runner-up.
      > T'mas na Ui Naill
      > East Kingdom
      > Shire of Glenn Linn
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.