Re: [SCA-Archery] Opposing Archer Eliminations???

  • Taslen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2011

      Do you do it my experience at the early round or draw names from a hat to get the first pairings?

      Gaelen

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2011
        One version of the "every man for himself" shoot that we have found fun is to use helium balloons attached to anchors spaced at intervals.  Each balloon represents an archer.  When yours is popped, you step off the line.  The balloons are not generally static targets, but move in the slightest breeze.  It is a lot of fun to see an archer take aim at his "opponent" just to have him duck at the last second as the wind picked up.

        Abraam

        On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Siegfried <siegfried@...> wrote:

        A few thoughts:

        1) I think that these kinda went out of style, because what often
        happened was "3 ... 2 ... 1 ... LOOSE" ... and BAM BAM ... two hits, and
        trying to figure out who got who, etc.

        2) The odd-man out situation is hard to handle. Only 'real' way, is to
        make a grouping of 3 (which isn't fair to those) ... or make one person
        have a 'bye' round, just like in a single-elim tournament. etc

        3) I've found that alot of fun variation of this, that gets everyone
        having a blast ... is the following:

        * A line with X number of stakes out from it (5 is good, maybe 6 or 7
        ...). Each target stake, has 3 or 4 clips on it, to hold clay
        pidgeons, or balloons.

        * You have archers line up, one per stake. Each stake is 'that
        archer'. When all their balloons/pidgeons are dead ... they have to
        step off the line and stop shooting.

        * Every man for himself.

        This becomes a complete blast. And most often, the 'best archers' don't
        win. Because everyone else focuses on shooting THEIR stuff dead. And
        numbers beat accuracy at that point. Everyone laughs, everyone has fun,
        and a medium-ish skill archer goes home with the prize usually :)

        Siegfried

        On 7/1/11 3:34 PM, hawken1911 wrote:
        > Hello Gang,
        >
        > Many years ago 'opposing archer' shoots were common at events. You would pair up the archers in sudden death duels at an 'archer' target, and the first to hit the target eliminated their opponent. The winners of the first round would then pair off, etc. until there was only one winner. I'm considering running this for a local group, and I realized I don't know how the marshals reconciled odd numbers. You could start with an odd number of people where everybody was paired up except one person. Or, you could start with even pairs, for example 10 archers (5 pairs), but then after the first round you would have 5 archers (2 pairs and an odd man out). I'm probably missing something very simple here, but I can't figure out a fair way to deal with the 'odd man out'. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
        >
        > Hawken
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • James W
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2011
          I have done the balloon popping using four balloons on the same target face. Two balloons are red and two balloons are blue. The Red Archer tries to pop the two blue balloons before the Blue Archer pops the two red balloons. And, of course, if you pop your own colour, well, shame on you. The double balloon helps minimize the double kill syndrome where both archers pop their opponents balloon on the first arrow.

          A variation of this without the speed aspect is to put up two shields on the butt. One shield is white with a black chief and the other shield is black with a white chief. Each archer shoots three arrows a their designated colour. The White Archer scores all arrows that hit White (either on his shield or the white chief on the black shield). The Black Archer scores all arrows that hit Black. Highest count moves on. Ties reshoot.

          As a head to head, you can do a closest to the mark with each archer shooting two arrows. The one closest the mark wins but do a best 2/3 to help take care of the lucky shot.

          We have done the paper plate shoot where everyone writes their name on a paper plate. All the archers line up and shoot one arrow at whichever plate they want so it is not really a head to head. Everyone who had a plate hit is eliminated. Depending on how many people are shooting at one time, the best archer in the group may find three or four arrows in his plate as everyone tries to eliminate him. This is actually a fun shoot for the low to mid range archers as they often find themselves surviving into the latter rounds whereas the good archers are eliminated quickly.

          Instead of eliminating the archer, you can also eliminate arrows. Shoot at a simple roundel. Archers start with six arrows. All arrows that miss are eliminated from play. Change distance or roundel size. When an archer no longer has arrows, he is eliminated. When you are down to two archers, you can continue or just go to most arrows in the roundel wins.
        • hawken1911
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2011
            Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

            Hawken