Number of target archers

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
      Greetings

      I am still trying to compile the current total number for SCA target archers to see what growth has taken place.  I have asked on the sca target archery marshals list and have tried to contact some of the kingdom marshals directly and have been given the below numbers for some kingdoms.  If you live in one of the kingdoms with no listed total, could you please contact your kingdom archery marshal and ask for the current kingdom estimated count of target archers.  If you could then send it to me, I would be most grateful.

      Thank you

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West

      Aethelmearc:  estimated 89
      An Tir: estimated 300
      Ansteorra: estimated 300
      Artemisia:  estimated 107
      Atenveldt: no information
      Atlantia:  estimated 250-300
      Caid: estimated 100
      Calontir:  estimated 250
      Drachenwald:  estimated 240
      Ealdormere:  no information
      East: 1,000 (low approximation)
      Gleann Abhann:  no information
      Lochac: no information
      Meridies:  92 (from Meridies archery web page)
      Middle: no information
      Northshield:  estimated 250-300
      Outlands:  estimated: 162
      Trimaris: estimated 233
      West:  estimated 50-60

      Estimated high total:  3,533

    • Taslen
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
        I have asked our archer general for her input off hand from what I have seen I could give you a count of at least 50. BUT that is not a total.for the midrealm.

        Gaelen O'Grady
        Archery marshal of the field

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
          Thank you.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
            Greetings

            Speaking as a former Archer-General of the Middle, I know that there are 84 living members of the Greenwood Company, the senior (Grant-level) missile weapons Order (but some are inactive, some are thrown-weapons, and others reside in different kingdoms). There are 165 target archery marshals currently listed in the marshals database. There are 82 local groups, both (74) full-status and (8) incipient. From all of this, I'd be willing to estimate a very rough number of perhaps 350 to 450 target archers in the Mid, given that some groups wouldn't have any at all, but other groups would have CGC's, marshals, and plenty of archers who show up for practices. It'd tend to even out overall, so a guess of maybe 5 or 6 per local shire or canton as a statistical average isn't wildly off-kilter. Take it with however many grains of salt you feel are needed.

            Nigel

            --
            "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula administrationis est."
            -
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
              John,

              At this point the consensus seems to be between 350 and 450 personally I lean towards the high side. I have yet to hear back from our archer general yet and oh yed we have 165 warranted Marshal's

              Gaelen O'Grady

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
                if you really want the numbers of archers in the kingdom of atenveldt there are two thing that you can try. send an email to royalarcher@... or post a message on aten-archer@yahoogroups.com

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                > John,
                >
                > At this point the consensus seems to be between 350 and 450 personally I lean towards the high side. I have yet to hear back from our archer general yet and oh yed we have 165 warranted Marshal's
                >
                > Gaelen O'Grady

              • John Edgerton
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
                  I tried the royal archer address before with no reply, but I will try it again.

                  I just tried aten-archer@yahoogroups.com and got a message from yahoo groups that says ...

                  "Your message was sent to a group that does not exist.  Please check
                  to make sure you spelled the group name correctly."

                  Thank you

                  Jon

                • John Edgerton
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
                    I just posted a message to  aten-archery@yahoogroups.com which did not bounce.

                    Jon

                    On Jun 29, 2011, at 7:49 PM, i_griffen wrote:

                    if you really want the numbers of archers in the kingdom of atenveldt there are two thing that you can try. send an email to royalarcher@... or post a message on aten-archer@yahoogroups.com

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                    > John,
                    >
                    > At this point the consensus seems to be between 350 and 450 personally I lean towards the high side. I have yet to hear back from our archer general yet and oh yed we have 165 warranted Marshal's
                    >
                    > Gaelen O'Grady

                  • John Edgerton

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 30, 2011
                        John,

                        I will let you know if I get a offical total

                        Gaelen

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 30, 2011
                          Thank you.

                          Jon