Re: Newbie breast trouble?

  • logantheboweyder
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
      http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/article_c53b1b5e-5fb5-54cc-bd0d-a64d000ba89b.html

      Please look at Vic's piece of garb over his bow-arm breast.
      As well, issues to consider are opening or closing your stance, as Njall and others comment. An open stance can have the string avoid the area completely, or a more closed stance with a draw against the bow-side of the breast (as opposed to past the breast) may work, depending a lot on where you anchor. As well, moving your anchor to below the chin may help. Janet Dykman seems to not be having a problem in this picture:

      http://www.texasarchery.org/Photos/Shootout2002/FOR/page16.htm

      Logan
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Scott B. Jaqua" <hagerson@...> wrote:

      > You need a piece of equipment call a breast protector. This can be heavy
      > nylon mesh in a modern one, or leather in a more period appearing one.
      > The breast protector will allow the breast to compress somewhat. It also
      > provides a surface to that the string will not snag on release.
      >
      > I knew one well endowed lady of the CSULB archery team that pulled the
      > string of the bow deeply into the breast at full draw. Using a breast
      > protector she competed at the Varsity collegiate level.
      >
      > As for which mussels to use. You should feel the squeeze between your
      > shoulder blades if you are drawing correctly. With your build I
      > recommend a "closed stance" That is you should face the target
      > completely completely sidwise. You shoulders in line with your hips and
      > at full draw you should have a straight line from your bow hand to the
      > elbow of your string hand arm. Another way yo say this is heals, hips
      > and shoulders all lined up and 90 degrees to the shooting line.
      >
      > I hope that helps.
      >
      > Njall
      >

      > On 6/26/2011 9:19 AM, Martina wrote:
      > >
      > > I just started practising with a group and I have a problem that I
      > > can't draw the bow-string far enough because my anatomy gets in the
      > > way. I've asked more experienced people but they couldn't think of
      > > anything and just suggested a shorter bow despite guys of a similar
      > > height have no problems with the one in question. For the record, I
      > > fell in love with an English longbow, probably 2" taller than I am. I
      > > love the power. But I can't draw it as far as I need even though my
      > > arms would allow it - so frustrating. With bows short enough as not to
      > > get in the way I can't keep up with others unless it's a recurved
      > > riding bow and I can't say I like how it behaves, seems pretty
      > > unpredictable. Besides, I'm not riding.
      > >
      > > I wear a 32GG (uk sizing) bra, that should be about an J in US. My
      > > breasts are spaced a little apart. I assume my stance may not be
      > > completely correct as I'm just starting up. I draw from my bellydance
      > > experience as to posture - pull up off the waist, tuck pelvis in and
      > > keep abdominals activated, don't lock knees - on that I add leg
      > > position and other things I've been told. I feel I get most power from
      > > all muscles involved and use the width of my "manly" shoulders this
      > > way as opposed when trying to collapse my chest in.
      > >
      > > I've heard so many times that breasts are not an obstacle with
      > > archery. So, what is wrong?
      > >

      > --
      > Scott B. Jaqua
      > Hagerson Forge
      > www.hagersonforge.com

    • marychance
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
        I've been a E or F cup (pre weight loss) but never had the problem of catching myself in the string. However I use a more open or curved stance. Instead of stright bow arm, I curve in my wrist and shoulder so the bow string comes in between my upper arm and breast, making a shallow angle between your shoulder line and bow arm at the shoulder. Also, as has been said before a really firm supportive bra makes a big difference, maybe even a minimizer bra.

        Cecelia

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Martina" <lilly_anne@...> wrote:

        > I just started practising with a group and I have a problem that I can't draw the bow-string far enough because my anatomy gets in the way. I've asked more experienced people but they couldn't think of anything and just suggested a shorter bow despite guys of a similar height have no problems with the one in question. For the record, I fell in love with an English longbow, probably 2" taller than I am. I love the power. But I can't draw it as far as I need even though my arms would allow it - so frustrating. With bows short enough as not to get in the way I can't keep up with others unless it's a recurved riding bow and I can't say I like how it behaves, seems pretty unpredictable. Besides, I'm not riding.
        >
        > I wear a 32GG (uk sizing) bra, that should be about an J in US. My breasts are spaced a little apart. I assume my stance may not be completely correct as I'm just starting up. I draw from my bellydance experience as to posture - pull up off the waist, tuck pelvis in and keep abdominals activated, don't lock knees - on that I add leg position and other things I've been told. I feel I get most power from all muscles involved and use the width of my "manly" shoulders this way as opposed when trying to collapse my chest in.
        >
        > I've heard so many times that breasts are not an obstacle with archery. So, what is wrong?

      • Magnus
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011

          If nothing helps there always crossbow to fall back on

          But best of luck with the English long bow I love to see that historical early period widow maker in action as they flat out distanced any other bow in history pushing out to 400 yards in medieval times however today they say 180 yards is the max to be accurate today but in king henrys (forget which one) days target could not be less then 220 yards. Of course in those Days archers started very young and was there profession

          Magnus of Trimaris