Re: [SCA-Archery] Source for interesting bodkins

  • Master Griffin McCai
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 6, 2000
      I will repeat my request:

      Will someone please post the website address?

      Griffin

      >From: Keith Dombrowski <kad@...>
      >To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Source for interesting bodkins
      >Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 12:14:44 -0700 (PDT)
      >

      >--- jrosswebb1@... wrote:
      > > Good Gentles:
      > > I've been in correspondence with these people in England (message
      > > below)
      > > and they produce several bodkins and broadheads and their prices seem
      > > fair. I don't like making them myself anymore, and was looking for
      > > other
      > > sources. They seem like nice enough fellows, have any of you had
      > > experience with them?
      > > �� Message From: archery-centre@... (Tom�Foy) Date: Tue,
      >
      >I ordered some from them a while back, they are nice, solidly made
      >bodkins. The international shipping makes them a bit pricy, but they
      >look soooo much better than modern target points.
      >
      >Kean
      >
      >=====
      >Ad Loc, Ad Hoc, Quid Pro Pro. So Little Time. So Much To Know.

      >http://im.yahoo.com/

      >Law.com is the preeminent online destination for legal professionals.
      >Visit Law.com for exclusive content from American Lawyer Media, online
      >CLE Seminars, Practice Centers and Career Listings.

    • Block, Alan W
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 6, 2000
        I have another source: Eagle Classic Archery sells a point called a Modbod
        which looks sort of like a short bodkin. The socket tapers toward the point
        then flares out again int a bulbous shape before tapering to the point. I
        buy these then grind 4 flats on the point with my belt sander. 30 seconds
        per point and 5.75 GBp / doz and they look realy good. 110 grains so any
        bow can push them.
      • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 6, 2000
          That sounds like a great way to go. I've done something similiar with
          field points and they look okay, but I like your description of the
          modbod. Is there a web addy on Eagle Classic? They're a company I
          haven't dealt with.
          Thanks,
          Geoffrei

        • Block, Alan W
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 6, 2000
            Eagle Classic Archery is www.bownet.com/Instore/eaglerep.html
          • Susan Kell
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
              Master David McDougalls does something similar, although I don't know what
              points he starts with. Been meaning to try this -- thanks!
              -- Ygraine

              On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Block, Alan W wrote:

              > I have another source: Eagle Classic Archery sells a point called a Modbod
              > which looks sort of like a short bodkin. The socket tapers toward the point
              > then flares out again int a bulbous shape before tapering to the point. I
              > buy these then grind 4 flats on the point with my belt sander. 30 seconds
              > per point and 5.75 GBp / doz and they look realy good. 110 grains so any
              > bow can push them.

            • James W. Pratt Jr.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                Be careful!! Make sure you do NOT make the edges sharp when grinding. On
                Suanders and other grass butts they will excessivly damage the matt. AT
                Pennsic I have been instructed not to allow their use.

                James Cunningham

              • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                  To James and all,
                  Your point is well taken(no pun intended).
                  I was delighted to receive the address and information about Eagle
                  Classic and their modbod points. I like the look of them even without
                  alteration. I just wish they made them in 160gr, but I'll be purchasing
                  some anyway and adding to the weight of the tip. The good gentle that
                  passed this information on is probably correct that they will give good
                  penetration to the mat and pull out easy. If any of you, like me were
                  not familiar with this site, check it out, it has lots of nifty things
                  to drool over
                  Fondly,
                  Geoffrei

                • scholari@sector13.org
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                    I too like the original look of these points.
                    Geoffrei, you mention adding wieght to them,
                    how would you do this? And as I am avidly
                    curious, why do you want them at 160 grains?

                    Simon Hondy

                    Quoting jrosswebb1@...:
                    <content snipped>
                  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                      The reason that I add weight to the points is that I shoot very heavy
                      bows(upwrd of 70#) and therefore heavy shafts. I like my arrows
                      point-heavy to bring the balance forawrd 15% of center. I normally get
                      by with 160gr heads but on occassion I have drilled into the point end
                      and epoxied in a finishing nail before I glue on the points. I clip off
                      the head of the nails and weigh them all and adjst with a grinder when
                      neccessary(usually). It sounds like a lot of work and I've had numerous
                      discussions/arguments with other fletchers and arrowsmiths about
                      heavy/light, tapered/barrel/parallel, high fletch/low fletch. What I
                      realized was, this works for me. I like very heavy arrows with heavy
                      points and high /long fletches with a lot of helical shot out of a heavy
                      draw, quick longbow with no shelf . I get less effect from wind and bad
                      weather than archers shooting light shafts with light heads and small
                      fletching. This works REAL well for me. I get a good quick recovery on
                      close shots, I normally get between 185-205 fps and I'm shooting pretty
                      flat at 100 yards.
                      Different strokes for different folks.
                      Fondly,
                      Geoffrei

                    • BILL / GWILYM
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                        You follow instructions?????

                      • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                          You know, You shouldn't mess with somebody who has the word "cunning"
                          in his last name.