FW: [Mongol] Protest Mongolian style

  • Luigi Kapaj
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2011

      Not completely off topic and quite interesting to see. Traditional archery being used during protests in Mongolia – see links below.

      For those interested in the politics: (If not, skip to the links) Mongolia has been experiencing a mining boom recently. Mining has been destroying the countryside ruining the environment and dislocating herders. The herders have been protesting the government’s handling of the situation. This is not unlike the situation in China but the protests are not related. In China, the herders are entirely marginalized by the Han and protesting erupted over a miner murdering a herder and Inner Mongolia remains under martial law with children held prisoner in schools. In Mongolia, the are protesting how the government is allowing the destruction of the environment to make some money. Both have traditional herding being ruined by mining.

      Not the first time herders have rode into a capitol firing arrows over an insult, but probably the first time it did not end with the city conquered and its leaders captured or executed as was done to the Ming, Rus, Kwarizm...

      Puppy

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2011
        I would be scared that that same day mysterious men in dark suits would be coming to my house and making me "disappear"....Its kinda sad how once proud cultures all around the world have been so disempowered......