Re: bent recurves

  • Ian Gourdon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5 4:04 PM
      > I really hate to tell a
      > > newbie that has shown up at my house for practice that the limbs are so
      > > twisted that the string will not stay on their wonderful yard sale
      > > purchase!!! Besides my old white Bear is getting a bit worse on me as well!
      > >
      > > Ld Rupert the Persistent
      >
      > If the bow is twisted so badly that the string is in jeopardy of jumping the limb, the
      > only solution is a band saw. light twists can *sometimes* be dealt with. check with a
      > bowyer. I've already spent $5 for a yard sale special just to make sure that no one else
      > would be using a dangerous piece of equipment.
      >
      > > Ian Griffen

      I managed to straighten just one bow at Pennsic one year,
      that had just failed inspection on a hot day, but responded
      to some counter twisting. I have no idea if it really reset,
      but the archer spent the rest of the day shooting it without
      problems. (yes, I watched) After that? I can't recommend it,
      but once in a while it works, for a bit. Otherwise, I agree
      with the frame and heat technique; though sometimes there's
      no real hope after the twist gets in there but to move on.
      --
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe, OP
      Known as a forester of the Greenwood, Midrealm