Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Rings

  • Taslen
    Message 1 of 32 , May 7, 2011
      Ahmen

      From: John edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, May 7, 2011 2:54 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Rings

      "purple for an archery Peer,"

      Does this mean someone that has a peerage given for research in or for making archery gear, or for shooting skill in archery?  Or any of the above? Or for an archer that is also a peer for non archery skills?

       I do hope that at some point soon, we do have peers for skill (as well as the other peerage level qualities) in archery .

      Jon
      On May 7, 2011, at 10:54 AM, James Koch wrote:

      Gentlemen & Ladies,

      I met with the goldsmith last night and we discussed the archery marshals rings.  We can do these quite easily with no extra charge for customization.  The one color enamel we have not yet assigned is orange.  this is a really distinct bright orange peel orange which will not be mistaken for the squire/apprentice/student red.  The design ought to show up just fine against the orange background, though there may be a bit less contrast on a gold ring.  The color choices would then be black for an archer with a submitted score (similar to the man at arms (authorized fighter) in the armored combat arena), Red for a middle range scoring archer or one who is the member of a company (Similar to the squire, apprentice, student rings in armored combat, arts, fencing), green for a top third scoring archer or one who has been a kingdom champion, orange for an archery marshal, purple for an archery Peer, and paisley for an individual with a 120 point or above royal round average.  So we can immediately produce an archery marshal's ring for the same price as our other archer's rings.  Are there any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

    • Randal of Camusfearna
      Message 32 of 32 , May 15, 2011
        Carolus,

        Hawken did not really use Wikipedia as his citable source, but rather Woodward's A Treatise on Heraldry, which happened to be mentioned in the Wikipedia article. He also stated this was not his only source. I realize why people don't trust Wikipedia's accuracy, but it is a good place to start a search in order to locate "primary" sources.

        Randal