Re: [SCA-Archery] Range siting

  • Bill Tait
    Message 1 of 7 , May 6, 2011
      Greetings,

      As I read the question, I understand "siting" as in "locating the range", not "sighting" meaning "how to point the arrow".

      The important question is whether your shooting positions offer level ground. Elevation changes to the target will not breed bad form as much as uneven terrain will.

      Standing on an incline will make evenly distributing your weight (left / right) difficult, as well as keeping your hips in line with your spine.

      If this will just be your private range for yourself, I would suggest filling in your shooting locations to level them out. It really all depends on how much shooting you will be doing on this sloped range; if it's 90% of your time, level it. If it's just for occasional shooting, use it as "random terrain training".

      William Arwemakere

      On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:16 AM, <loreleiElkins@...> wrote:

      There is a mathematical formula for determining what the "elevation gain" is for every foot in height increased over a given length.  Not being a mathematician...and doing my very best just to make it through college algebra all those many years ago, I'm not even going to attempt to figure it out.  When I used to do a lot of hiking, it was something like for every foot of vertical rise you have to add X to the over all distance.

      I imagine an elevation of 8  feet isn't going to make a big difference in your aiming point, but it will make a slight difference.  (Those who shot Royal Rounds at Pennsic on the cardiac hill will have noticed their aiming point was rather different than it would be on flat ground.)

      I say, practice how you can with what you have and then compensate when you need to.  I don't see how it would lead to you forming bad habits, you may only have to readjust your point of aim slightly when on flat ground.

      Good luck!

      Lorelei