Re: [SCA-Archery] Introduction

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 4, 2000
      The only effective way to "possibly" correct a limb twist is to make a
      new frame for it, much the same type of frame that was used to do the
      original lamination.You'll have to cut it on a band saw out of 2x12 and
      make sure that it is true and as flat as the back of the bow should be
      in its unstrung state,it also must be as wide as the limbs. You will
      then lash the unstrung bow to this frame tightly using strips of old
      inner tube or another stretchable material until it is forced into shape
      on the frame. Then expose it to some even, dry heat of about 110-130
      degrees farenheit for about a few hours,
      a closed insulated wooden box with a few lamps in it should do the
      trick, check with a thermometer. turn the heat source off and vent the
      box allowing the strapped bow to cool thoroughly and then pray.
      If the archery god wills it, the treatment will force the heat treated
      glue to loosen a bit and reset the lammies in the proper way. Of course
      the bow could be ruined as well. This is how the bowyers that I know
      would do it. I don't reccommend using water at all because fiberglass is
      hydroporous and prolonged exposure to water will delaminate a bow.
      That's why for bad weather hunting and shooting you should cover your
      bow limbs with a wax paste.
      This is a lot of work and that's why when one of the archers I am
      training comes to me with an old twisted bow, I reccommend that they
      hang it on a wall as a fond remembrance.
      Howard Hill Archery as well as most other good bowyers will perform this
      service for you, and guarantee it, but at a price, and a high one. You
      may as well just buy another bow.
      There may be other ways to coax a limb back for a bit, but this is the
      bowyers way.
      To find the way to make the billet frame, check any of ther literature
      available on building bows, Bingham is a good source for that.
      I hope this is helpful,
      Geoffrei

    • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 4, 2000
        > If the bow is twisted so badly that the string is in jeopardy of
        jumping the limb, the
        > only solution is a band saw. light twists can *sometimes* be dealt
        with. check with a
        > bowyer. I've already spent $5 for a yard sale special just to make
        sure that no one else
        > would be using a dangerous piece of equipment.
        >
        > > Ian Griffen

        Good gravy, Lad!

        Before you consign a bow to a bandsaw let me make you an offer for
        it. I guarantee to be a responsible adult, be careful, and not hold
        you to blame if I hurt myself. But don't be cutting a bow up into
        little pieces!

        Taillear