Re: poaching and Forest usage

  • Dan Stratton
    Message 1 of 32 , May 1 5:24 AM
      --
      <Rick Johnson

      'The Royal Forests of England' addresses this. In a nutshell, maybe: You had to get a license for most things - from the Foresters or Parkers or Verderers, etc. IE - various usage in the Forests, Parks. The fellow in the movie was hunting Deer - big no no. Major Violation - certain (well defined) forests (not all) were reserved for the Crown as a Hunting Reserve. Hunting for Rabbits, etc - small game - could be done, with a light bow - no broadheads, something that wouldn't kill deer. The Forester (Park Ranger in our time) could tell at a glance whether you were legal or not. Deer hunting could get you arrested - not usually killed. Fines were more interesting. Forestry Law was extensive, and major business.
      "Look an Intruder - with a Bow! Get him!" was strictly from the movies.
      "Forester! Check his 'license' - would have been more common. Except the Forester would already know - the man, and what he was doing there. Smaller world than ours.
      Most violations were dealt with by fines - major source of revenue for the Crown. You couldn't even walk your dog out there, or take dead wood, without permission. Forestry Court was very busy.
      They really didn't have Public Parks as we understand them - the High born used the Forests and Parks to entertain themselves and their visitors - the Hunt was big back then.
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
      Midrealm Forester - OP
      "- bows of carved wood strong for use, with well-seasoned strings of hemp, and arrows sharp-pointed whizzing in flight."
    • Randal of Camusfearna
      Message 32 of 32 , May 15 9:42 AM
        Carolus,

        Hawken did not really use Wikipedia as his citable source, but rather Woodward's A Treatise on Heraldry, which happened to be mentioned in the Wikipedia article. He also stated this was not his only source. I realize why people don't trust Wikipedia's accuracy, but it is a good place to start a search in order to locate "primary" sources.

        Randal