Re: [SCA-Archery] [Fwd: bradboda sent you a video: "The Longbow Vs The Crossbow - Video 17"] [1 Attachment]

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2011
      You are right, it was for giggles.
      I was amazed at how fast the Crossbow DID release when compared to the
      Longbow! I would have expected a much slower rate or release.

      Comparing the two is like comparing the saber to the broadsword. Each
      was designed to fulfill a need.

      Longbows could be made quickly and had a high rate of release ..
      ...but took forever to learn and constant practice.
      Wasn't there some law in England about requiring all men to spend half
      of Sunday practicing with the Longbow.
      And wasn't there some lament that with the fall of fudalism and the
      rise of free currency, men were spending less time in the range?

      Crossbows could be learned i na single afternoon, the knowlege and
      skille required very little work to keep up and they had range and
      power.
      ...but they were expensive to manufacture and had a slow rate of release.

      Both had tactical uses.

      Now for another question in another post.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com