Re: [SCA-Archery] Introduction

  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 4, 2000
      Rupert Gaddy wrote:

      > Ian and others, does anyone know a way to correct the twist in limbs?
      >
      > I have had some luck, but only by trial and error. I have used the
      > spotlight in the dark techniques with out much success....anyone know some
      > better ideas on this that have worked for you.....I really hate to tell a
      > newbie that has shown up at my house for practice that the limbs are so
      > twisted that the string will not stay on their wonderful yard sale
      > purchase!!! Besides my old white Bear is getting a bit worse on me as well!
      >
      > Ld Rupert the Persistent

      If the bow is twisted so badly that the string is in jeopardy of jumping the limb, the
      only solution is a band saw. light twists can *sometimes* be dealt with. check with a
      bowyer. I've already spent $5 for a yard sale special just to make sure that no one else
      would be using a dangerous piece of equipment.

      > Ian Griffen

      Brad
    • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 4, 2000
        The only effective way to "possibly" correct a limb twist is to make a
        new frame for it, much the same type of frame that was used to do the
        original lamination.You'll have to cut it on a band saw out of 2x12 and
        make sure that it is true and as flat as the back of the bow should be
        in its unstrung state,it also must be as wide as the limbs. You will
        then lash the unstrung bow to this frame tightly using strips of old
        inner tube or another stretchable material until it is forced into shape
        on the frame. Then expose it to some even, dry heat of about 110-130
        degrees farenheit for about a few hours,
        a closed insulated wooden box with a few lamps in it should do the
        trick, check with a thermometer. turn the heat source off and vent the
        box allowing the strapped bow to cool thoroughly and then pray.
        If the archery god wills it, the treatment will force the heat treated
        glue to loosen a bit and reset the lammies in the proper way. Of course
        the bow could be ruined as well. This is how the bowyers that I know
        would do it. I don't reccommend using water at all because fiberglass is
        hydroporous and prolonged exposure to water will delaminate a bow.
        That's why for bad weather hunting and shooting you should cover your
        bow limbs with a wax paste.
        This is a lot of work and that's why when one of the archers I am
        training comes to me with an old twisted bow, I reccommend that they
        hang it on a wall as a fond remembrance.
        Howard Hill Archery as well as most other good bowyers will perform this
        service for you, and guarantee it, but at a price, and a high one. You
        may as well just buy another bow.
        There may be other ways to coax a limb back for a bit, but this is the
        bowyers way.
        To find the way to make the billet frame, check any of ther literature
        available on building bows, Bingham is a good source for that.
        I hope this is helpful,
        Geoffrei

      • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 4, 2000
          > If the bow is twisted so badly that the string is in jeopardy of
          jumping the limb, the
          > only solution is a band saw. light twists can *sometimes* be dealt
          with. check with a
          > bowyer. I've already spent $5 for a yard sale special just to make
          sure that no one else
          > would be using a dangerous piece of equipment.
          >
          > > Ian Griffen

          Good gravy, Lad!

          Before you consign a bow to a bandsaw let me make you an offer for
          it. I guarantee to be a responsible adult, be careful, and not hold
          you to blame if I hurt myself. But don't be cutting a bow up into
          little pieces!

          Taillear