Re: [SCA-Archery] Number of sca target archers

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 27, 2011
      Damales,

      We seem to have suffered a fall off in participation in our Barony as well.  Merlin and I have been meeting to address the situation locally.  We are planning new practices and new competitions.  One thing we are doing in the Midrealm is I'll be paying Merlin to make a set of high quality arrows for the person who submits the highest seasonal first Royal Round average.  This prize will go to the person who has never before submitted a royal round average.  So it may go to an experienced archer or it may go to a complete beginner.  If this shoot works, next year we'll also sponsor a prize to the person who shows the greatest total points increase in their Royal Round average.  The latter shoot tends to favor beginners.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >At 01:19 AM 4/27/2011, you wrote:

      Jon from my experience the number of archers has gone Down  20 years ago my barony  fielded  over 100 now maybe 20-30  but the quality of shooter seem to have gone up , and they play a more broad form of SCA. so straight head count might not tell you much.
      Damales (caid)

      On 4/26/2011 6:38 PM, John edgerton wrote:

      Greetings

      I have been trying to compile the current total number for SCA target archers to see what growth has taken place.  I have asked on the sca target archery marshals list and have tried to contact some of the kingdom marshals directly and have been given the below numbers for some kingdoms.  If you live in one of the kingdoms with no listed total, could you please contact your kingdom archery marshal and ask for the current kingdom estimated count of target archers.  If you could then send it to me, I would be most grateful.

      Thank you

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West

      Aethelmearc:  estimated 89
      An Tir:
      Ansteorra:
      Artemisia:  Estimated 107
      Atenveldt;
      Atlantia:  estimated 250-300
      Caid: estimated 100
      Calontir:  estimated 250
      Drachenwald:  estimated 240
      Ealdormere:
      East: 1,000 (low approximation)
      Gleann Abhann:
      Lochac:
      Meridies:  92 (from Meridies archery web page)
      Middle:
      Northshield:  estimated 250-300
      Outlands:  estimated: 162
      Trimaris:
      West:  estimated 50-60

    • snag
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 27, 2011
        Greetings from Trimaris, I am HL. Willaum of willowbrook, ranger to the barony of Darkwater and marshel to the canton of Loch Gryffyn. By our royal round list we show 85 active archers, but that doesent take into concideration that some of our archers dont allways shoot a R/R. a fair guess on my part would be right at 100 archers. I hope this helps in you indevers.

        YIS

        HL. Willaum of Willowbrook

        > Greetings
        >
        > I have been trying to compile the current total number for SCA target archers to see what growth has taken place. I have asked on the sca target archery marshals list and have tried to contact some of the kingdom marshals directly and have been given the below numbers for some kingdoms. If you live in one of the kingdoms with no listed total, could you please contact your kingdom archery marshal and ask for the current kingdom estimated count of target archers. If you could then send it to me, I would be most grateful.
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West
        >
        > Aethelmearc: estimated 89
        > An Tir:
        > Ansteorra:
        > Artemisia: Estimated 107
        > Atenveldt;
        > Atlantia: estimated 250-300
        > Caid: estimated 100
        > Calontir: estimated 250
        > Drachenwald: estimated 240
        > Ealdormere:
        > East: 1,000 (low approximation)
        > Gleann Abhann:
        > Lochac:
        > Meridies: 92 (from Meridies archery web page)
        > Middle:
        > Northshield: estimated 250-300
        > Outlands: estimated: 162
        > Trimaris:
        > West: estimated 50-60

      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 27, 2011
          Is that just for your area or for the whole kingdom?

          Jon
          On Apr 27, 2011, at 2:56 PM, snag wrote:

          Greetings from Trimaris, I am HL. Willaum of willowbrook, ranger to the barony of Darkwater and marshel to the canton of Loch Gryffyn. By our royal round list we show 85 active archers, but that doesent take into concideration that some of our archers dont allways shoot a R/R. a fair guess on my part would be right at 100 archers. I hope this helps in you indevers.

          YIS

          HL. Willaum of Willowbrook

          > Greetings
          >
          > I have been trying to compile the current total number for SCA target archers to see what growth has taken place. I have asked on the sca target archery marshals list and have tried to contact some of the kingdom marshals directly and have been given the below numbers for some kingdoms. If you live in one of the kingdoms with no listed total, could you please contact your kingdom archery marshal and ask for the current kingdom estimated count of target archers. If you could then send it to me, I would be most grateful.
          >
          > Thank you
          >
          > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West
          >
          > Aethelmearc: estimated 89
          > An Tir:
          > Ansteorra:
          > Artemisia: Estimated 107
          > Atenveldt;
          > Atlantia: estimated 250-300
          > Caid: estimated 100
          > Calontir: estimated 250
          > Drachenwald: estimated 240
          > Ealdormere:
          > East: 1,000 (low approximation)
          > Gleann Abhann:
          > Lochac:
          > Meridies: 92 (from Meridies archery web page)
          > Middle:
          > Northshield: estimated 250-300
          > Outlands: estimated: 162
          > Trimaris:
          > West: estimated 50-60

        • John edgerton
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 27, 2011
            Greetings Aleyn

            Is there anyway of obtaining a current "best guess estimate"?  Does your kingdom archery marshal have a current count?

            Jon
            On Apr 27, 2011, at 3:23 AM, Christopher LoPresto wrote:

            In Sept. 2008, the number of "Live Weapons" participants in Gleann Abhann was counted as 84 participants, of which 18 were marshals.

            This count included target archery and thrown weapons, so you may want to consider that a small percentage will have only participated in thrown weapons and not target archery.

            These counts only included documentable participants.  There were surely other participants whose name never appeared on any lists and were therefore not counted, but I couldn't tell you how many.

            We have had additional marshals warranted since 2008 and we may or may not have had an increase in general participation - I don't know.

            I hope this helps even though the data is a little old.

            Regards,
            Aleyn Kynyd ap Rhys

            On Apr 27, 2011, at 2:38 AM, John edgerton wrote:

[...]

          • David Keil
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 27, 2011
              In the kingdom of An Tir we have over 220 archers that have registered Royal Rounds for the Open class in the last couple of years.  Considering at the average practice less than half of the archers submit scores that number could be easily doubled, if not tripled.

              IS,
              Archos Evrard de Valogne
              Contingency deputy to the Royal Archer.

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 28, 2011
                  That would be for the kingdom.

                  YIS

                  Willaum

                  > Is that just for your area or for the whole kingdom?
                  >
                  > Jon
                  > On Apr 27, 2011, at 2:56 PM, snag wrote:
                  >
                  > > Greetings from Trimaris, I am HL. Willaum of willowbrook, ranger to the barony of Darkwater and marshel to the canton of Loch Gryffyn. By our royal round list we show 85 active archers, but that doesent take into concideration that some of our archers dont allways shoot a R/R. a fair guess on my part would be right at 100 archers. I hope this helps in you indevers.
                  > >
                  > > YIS
                  > >
                  > > HL. Willaum of Willowbrook
                  > >
                  > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Greetings
                  > > >
                  > > > I have been trying to compile the current total number for SCA target archers to see what growth has taken place. I have asked on the sca target archery marshals list and have tried to contact some of the kingdom marshals directly and have been given the below numbers for some kingdoms. If you live in one of the kingdoms with no listed total, could you please contact your kingdom archery marshal and ask for the current kingdom estimated count of target archers. If you could then send it to me, I would be most grateful.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thank you
                  > > >
                  > > > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West
                  > > >
                  > > > Aethelmearc: estimated 89
                  > > > An Tir:
                  > > > Ansteorra:
                  > > > Artemisia: Estimated 107
                  > > > Atenveldt;
                  > > > Atlantia: estimated 250-300
                  > > > Caid: estimated 100
                  > > > Calontir: estimated 250
                  > > > Drachenwald: estimated 240
                  > > > Ealdormere:
                  > > > East: 1,000 (low approximation)
                  > > > Gleann Abhann:
                  > > > Lochac:
                  > > > Meridies: 92 (from Meridies archery web page)
                  > > > Middle:
                  > > > Northshield: estimated 250-300
                  > > > Outlands: estimated: 162
                  > > > Trimaris:
                  > > > West: estimated 50-60

                • John edgerton
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 28, 2011
                    Thank you.

                    Jon
                    On Apr 28, 2011, at 2:51 PM, snag wrote:

                    That would be for the kingdom.

                    YIS

                    Willaum

                    > Is that just for your area or for the whole kingdom?
                    >
                    > Jon
                    > On Apr 27, 2011, at 2:56 PM, snag wrote:
                    >
                    > > Greetings from Trimaris, I am HL. Willaum of willowbrook, ranger to the barony of Darkwater and marshel to the canton of Loch Gryffyn. By our royal round list we show 85 active archers, but that doesent take into concideration that some of our archers dont allways shoot a R/R. a fair guess on my part would be right at 100 archers. I hope this helps in you indevers.
                    > >
                    > > YIS
                    > >
                    > > HL. Willaum of Willowbrook
                    > >
                    > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Greetings
                    > > >
                    > > > I have been trying to compile the current total number for SCA target archers to see what growth has taken place. I have asked on the sca target archery marshals list and have tried to contact some of the kingdom marshals directly and have been given the below numbers for some kingdoms. If you live in one of the kingdoms with no listed total, could you please contact your kingdom archery marshal and ask for the current kingdom estimated count of target archers. If you could then send it to me, I would be most grateful.
                    > > >
                    > > > Thank you
                    > > >
                    > > > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West
                    > > >
                    > > > Aethelmearc: estimated 89
                    > > > An Tir:
                    > > > Ansteorra:
                    > > > Artemisia: Estimated 107
                    > > > Atenveldt;
                    > > > Atlantia: estimated 250-300
                    > > > Caid: estimated 100
                    > > > Calontir: estimated 250
                    > > > Drachenwald: estimated 240
                    > > > Ealdormere:
                    > > > East: 1,000 (low approximation)
                    > > > Gleann Abhann:
                    > > > Lochac:
                    > > > Meridies: 92 (from Meridies archery web page)
                    > > > Middle:
                    > > > Northshield: estimated 250-300
                    > > > Outlands: estimated: 162
                    > > > Trimaris:
                    > > > West: estimated 50-60

                  • Christopher LoPresto
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 29, 2011
                      As Gulf Wars is held in Gleann Abhann, we may be able to go through the sign up list for the range to pull out the GA participants that were at the War.

                      I'll email Neill to ask if he kept the sign up list.

                      When the survey was completed in 2008, 45% of known Gleann Abhann archery participants attended Gulf Wars.  If we assume the same ratio is true now, you can get a "best guess estimate" by multiplying the Gulf Wars count by 2.22.

                      Hope this helps,
                      Aleyn