Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow string ends - ARG!

  • James W. Pratt Jr.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2000
      Just checking. Allan has tried to put a Gladius prod on an old Wamo(14inch
      draw lenght). It works great until you start breaking prods. Now Gladius
      has longer prods that will handel the longer draw length.

      James Cunningham

      > >As a side question what is the brace height(sp) and the the lenght from
      the
      > >prod to the nut or notch(that holds the string at full cock)?
      >
      > I keep the brace height at 3" minimum, probably around 3.25" normally ...
      >
      > Length from prod to nut is 11" ... so draw length is from 7.75" to 8"
      >
      > Siegfried

      > Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust Barony of Highland Foorde
      > Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org

    • Alberic
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2000
        Siegfreid:

        As others have already noted, it's probably not a burr, but rather
        simply the concentration of force right at the knocking point. On my
        big bows, #250+, I use stainless washers that slip on over the nocking
        points, and are bent double so that they spread out the force. Seems to
        work pretty well. I've never had strings fail from loop chafe. Iolo's
        older aluminium prods had the seats of the knocking areas filed out so
        that they weren't such a harsh angle when the bow was drawn. The
        leather washers someone else suggested also seem like a sensible
        suggestion. (Cheap + can't hurt = good idea.)

        Cheers-
        Alberic