Re: [SCA-Archery] A sneak peek.

  • Edward deWitt
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 14, 2011
      There will be a couple more targets added for the SAAD Team Challenge that I have set forth.  some of the target scores from Christophe's shoot will be added to a couple more Challenge stations to be awarded separate from the SAAD awards.
      Get your fellow archers together to form a team of 4 members (only 1 crossbow and crossbowman will be allowed per team, but they are not required).  Time for AAH!  (Atlantian Archery Hellcats) to show the Kingdom how it is done.

      Ld. Eduard deWitte

      gene

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 14, 2011
        I'm filing this one! darn good ideas!

        Gaelen OGrady
        Midrealm Archery Marshal

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 15, 2011
          As for plans for the pendulum, it's not that difficult. You make an arm contraption out of 2 X 2 material with several layers of 2 inch thick foam board about 20 inches square on one end. Then you "select" the "proper" Scotsman to stand next to the target and wave the arm in front of the target. Now should any archer's shaft go astray and hit the Scotsman you simply select another. Think of them something like the English did or perhaps the English King in Brave Heart when he called in the archers, "But sire, might we hit some of our men?". "Yes, but we'll hit them as well." hahahahahahaha!!!!!

          As for ideas, I'm constantly collecting them. At this point I have a file with about 80 different shoot ideas. Every time I see or think up a new one I add it to the list.

          cog

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

          > I'm filing this one! darn good ideas!
          >
          > Gaelen OGrady
          > Midrealm Archery Marshal
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Randal of Camusfearna
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 15, 2011
            Eadric,

            I built what I think may be a similar device, but mine was more of a metronome. I never made plans for it, but here is what I did. I built a two and a half foot tall frame from plywood and 2x4s to support the pivot points (two bolt down 1" pipe flanges). The swing arm was 3/4" PVC pipe, one size down from the flanges, glued into a cross tee. Two opposite pipes out of the tee were short and inserted into the flanges to form a horizontal pivot. The down leg out of the tee was about two feet long and ended in a wooden 4x4 counter weight. The weight just cleared the plywood base. The up leg out of the tee was about 5 foot long and held the target, which in my case was an 8 inch diameter styrofoam sphere. I would pull the styrofoam ball to the ground and release, and it would swing in diminishing arcs for about 30 seconds before coming to a stop, with the long PVC arms vertical. I drilled a couple of holes and inserted a rod in the frame that would hold the ball to the ground, then tied a string to it so I could release from the shooting line. I called this target "shooting the moon".

            Randal

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Cleve Johnson <lighttrek@...> wrote:

            > Wow!  Great ideas for novelty shoots!  I want more details, especially or the
            > pendulum.  Are there plans available to build this device?
            >
            > Eadric
            >
            > Cleve Johnson
            >
            > "Archers make people quiver"
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Cleve Johnson
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 16, 2011
              Thank you Randal.  I have been trying to figure out some type of moveable target for some event shooting and this might be a possibility.

              Eadric

              Cleve Johnson

              "Archers make people quiver"

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 17, 2011
                Here's a few ideas we have used for moving targets.

                Double pendulum. You could use Randal's suggestion on building it but build two on the same axle. Start the pendulums on opposite sides from each other. When you release them they swing opposite each other crossing in the middle. The real beauty here is they will not swing at the same rate. Thus you have equally crossing, fading to swinging in unison, back to crossing. Lots of fun.

                We had a windmill that the archers loved. Envision four arms sticking out from the center they rotate around, like an X rotating about its center. On the end of each arm was a 12 inch square target face. This was human powered by pulling a rope that was wound around the axle.

                Here's a simple one. Build L's out of 2 X 4 material using angle brackets. These Ls are then mounted to a 2 X 4 running parallel with the shooting line using hinges. Put a target face on each end of the L such that when first viewed one target is up and the other is laid out towards the archer face down. When the first target is hit, it falls back bringing the second target up for shooting. You can make the first target large and the second one smaller.

                Folks love this one. Build a cradle that will hold two targets next to each other with about 2 feet between them. Suspend this cradle with ropes tied to two uprights at the ends of the cradle so that the cradle can swing freely back and forth. In front of the cradle swing you place a "castle wall" with crenelations that does not move. Tie a rope to one end of the cradle that goes through pulleys and leads back to the shooting line. A marshal pulls the rope which rocks the cradle back and forth making the targets swing back and forth appearing and disappearing in the crenelations. This works as a timed shoot and is great fun if you can get the sound track of the French on the castle wall from Monty Python!

                We called it coon up a pole. Build a vertical pole out of 2 X 4's about 16 feet tall. To this you attach your target which is on a rope leading to a pulley at the top of the pole then back to the ground and back to the shooting line. The marshal pulls the rope which moves the target up the pole to the top. Of course the marshal can make it more "interesting" by raising the target at an inconsistent rate.

                Probably the simplest moving target is to mount your target on something you can drag, wheels or not depending on the ground you are working with. There is a rope attached to this sled. The target starts about 50 - 70 yards out and is pulled towards the archers. At about 10 - 15 yards shooting stops. This shot is actually more difficult than it sounds particularly if you are an archer near the end of the shooting line. Not only is the target's range changing but so is it's angle to you!

                I'm obligated to say this - Of course if you had attended all the SAADs since SAAD1 you would have had an opportunity to shoot at all of these targets and more. SAAD5 starts April 29 through May 1, Elkin, North Carolina. Still time to plan.

                cog
                MIC for SAAD5 (that was obvious, wasn't it?)
              • Cleve Johnson
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 17, 2011
                  Any pictures of thes moving targets?

                  Eadric

                  Cleve Johnson

                  "Archers make people quiver"

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 17, 2011
                    At one of our wars someone tried something similar. A target in front
                    of which was a moving obstacle not to be hit and a castle wall in front
                    of this. Problem was the obstacle was closer to the target than the
                    length of an arrow stuck in the target and also closer to the castle
                    wall than an arrow which hit and stuck in the obstacle. Needless to
                    say, a few busted arrows before the system got rebuilt. Always allow
                    plenty of arrow clearance between layers of multi-layer targets like
                    this. Great fun when they work.
                    Carolus

                    The Greys wrote:
                    > snip
                    > Folks love this one. Build a cradle that will hold two targets next to each other with about 2 feet between them. Suspend this cradle with ropes tied to two uprights at the ends of the cradle so that the cradle can swing freely back and forth. In front of the cradle swing you place a "castle wall" with crenelations that does not move. Tie a rope to one end of the cradle that goes through pulleys and leads back to the shooting line. A marshal pulls the rope which rocks the cradle back and forth making the targets swing back and forth appearing and disappearing in the crenelations. This works as a timed shoot and is great fun if you can get the sound track of the French on the castle wall from Monty Python!
                    >
                    > snip

                    > cog
                    > MIC for SAAD5 (that was obvious, wasn't it?)

                  • James Koch
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 17, 2011
                      Gentlemen & Ladies,

                      My favorite moving target was one at an event here in Eastwatch in
                      the 90s. It was a life size Saint Bernard plush toy dog mounted on a
                      sled. The sled and dog target were moved out about 50 yards with a
                      50+ yard long rope extending behind the shooting line. The shoot
                      began when a guy holding the end of the rope ran so that the sled
                      began moving toward the shooting line as if the dog was
                      charging. The shooters had to hit the dog before it reached the
                      line. The sled would run over arrows without breaking them and the
                      dog was back far enough that arrows that did not penetrate would not
                      hang down in front where they could have been broken.

                      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
                    • John Chapin

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 17, 2011
                          Oh Ye Archers,
                           And to add to THL Christophe's wonderful shoot at SAAD5, there will be a TEAM Challenge set forth by me the Baronial Archery Marshal of Sacred Stone.  Round up 4 teammates to shoot together.  A few of your scores from Christophe's targets will be used, along with a few separate targets, just for team scoring, will make up the challenge.  Mixed bows welcome, but only one crossbow and one crossbowman allowed per team.  Cog even agreed that one  of them is EVIL!               YA'LL COME!
                          Serving,
                          Ld.Eduard deWitte
                          Order of the Yeoman of the Sacred Stone
                          Member House Askoldsson