Re: How to run a Baronial Archery Championship?

  • Luta
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5 5:33 PM
      Thank you! Just the kind of input I need! My thinking is that besides Royal Rounds for anyone who wants to shoot, to have some "fun" challenges,open to all throughout the first half of the day. Then at some point in the afternoon announce that we're going into the official championship rounds for those who want to compete for the title of Baronial Arhcery Chamption. So I would think I'll need a couple skill challenges to whittle that initial field down to a certain number - maybe 8? Then quickly down to 4, then 2 for the final showdown?? Does this sound logical?

      I like the idea of the clay pigeons or know down targest before shooting at a common target. Hmmm ...

      Again, thanks for the input ... a couple people have been kind enough to also respond privately.

      Many thanks!

      Luta

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

      > I'm a big fan of the "spectator friendly" finals.
      > Rather than shooting all day and choosing the archer with the highest score, use some method of selecting finalists and have them shoot head-to-head at targets where it is obvious who is winning.
      >
      > In Concordia we have used a line of 3 or 4 clay pigeons per archer that must be broken before shooting at a common target such as a balloon. EK Championships have used knock over targets that look better than clay pigeons. Anything that a non-archer who is watching can keep track of.
      >
      > I find that for our Barony, 4 archers going into a double elimination works well. It's challenging for the archers and the spectators have something to watch.
      >
      > The method of picking the final four is not hugely important and you can use whatever you have time for.
      > ~Hobbe
      >
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Luta" <pjmitchell55@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Any comments, suggestions, input most welcome!
      > > Thank you,
      > > Luta Thoraldsdottir
      > > Barony of Bergental

    • John edgerton

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5 7:35 PM
          That is an outstanding document Jon! Thanks.

          Hawken

          > For some ideas on Medieval and Renaissance archery targets and competitions see the files section for"Period Targets and Competitiions":

          > Jon
          >
          > On Apr 5, 2011, at 5:33 PM, Luta wrote:
          >
          > > Thank you! Just the kind of input I need! My thinking is that besides Royal Rounds for anyone who wants to shoot, to have some "fun" challenges,open to all throughout the first half of the day. Then at some point in the afternoon announce that we're going into the official championship rounds for those who want to compete for the title of Baronial Arhcery Chamption. So I would think I'll need a couple skill challenges to whittle that initial field down to a certain number - maybe 8? Then quickly down to 4, then 2 for the final showdown?? Does this sound logical?
          > >
          > > I like the idea of the clay pigeons or know down targest before shooting at a common target. Hmmm ...
          > >
          > > Again, thanks for the input ... a couple people have been kind enough to also respond privately.
          > >
          > > Many thanks!
          > >
          > > Luta.

        • Luta
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6 7:05 PM
            Somehow I recently already stumbled upon this paper, and intend to incorporate some of the ideas into the competion I am putting together. In fact it got me to thinking about how I can have some "fun" challenges while still being more ... medieval .. or traditional. Hopefully I can memorize some of the history to pass along to the participants.

            Luta

            > For some ideas on Medieval and Renaissance archery targets and competitions see the files section for"Period Targets and Competitiions":

            > Jon
            >
            > On Apr 5, 2011, at 5:33 PM, Luta wrote:
            >
            > > Thank you! Just the kind of input I need! My thinking is that besides Royal Rounds for anyone who wants to shoot, to have some "fun" challenges,open to all throughout the first half of the day. Then at some point in the afternoon announce that we're going into the official championship rounds for those who want to compete for the title of Baronial Arhcery Chamption. So I would think I'll need a couple skill challenges to whittle that initial field down to a certain number - maybe 8? Then quickly down to 4, then 2 for the final showdown?? Does this sound logical?
            > >
            > > I like the idea of the clay pigeons or know down targest before shooting at a common target. Hmmm ...
            > >
            > > Again, thanks for the input ... a couple people have been kind enough to also respond privately.
            > >
            > > Many thanks!
            > >
            > > Luta.

          • Taslen
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7 1:29 PM

              Somehow I recently already stumbled upon this paper, and intend to incorporate some of the ideas into the competion I am putting together. In fact it got me to thinking about how I can have some "fun" challenges while still being more ... medieval .. or traditional. Hopefully I can memorize some of the history to pass along to the participants.

              Luta

              > For some ideas on Medieval and Renaissance archery targets and competitions see the files section for"Period Targets and Competitiions":

              > Jon
              >
              > On Apr 5, 2011, at 5:33 PM, Luta wrote:
              >
              > > Thank you! Just the kind of input I need! My thinking is that besides Royal Rounds for anyone who wants to shoot, to have some "fun" challenges,open to all throughout the first half of the day. Then at some point in the afternoon announce that we're going into the official championship rounds for those who want to compete for the title of Baronial Arhcery Chamption. So I would think I'll need a couple skill challenges to whittle that initial field down to a certain number - maybe 8? Then quickly down to 4, then 2 for the final showdown?? Does this sound logical?
              > >
              > > I like the idea of the clay pigeons or know down targest before shooting at a common target. Hmmm ...
              > >
              > > Again, thanks for the input ... a couple people have been kind enough to also respond privately.
              > >
              > > Many thanks!
              > >
              > > Luta.

              I will look these over too for our event one idea I had was a "period" event for the most authentic gard and equipment

              Gaelen