Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow string ends - ARG!

  • Susan Kell
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2000
      Hi Siegfried -
      Welcome to the club... 8-) Crossbows *eat* center and tip servings.
      You describe a very common problem, and Alan and Ailean have made good,
      experienced suggestions. I would add that the material used to *do* the
      serving makes a difference, as does how much wax is used in preparing the
      serving. Li has been using .020 Polygrip and has been experimenting with
      .022 Diamondback. Both work well, but the wraps of the serving must be
      done with a lot of tension in the server, as Ailean mentioned, *and* very
      close up against each other. Li doesn't wax the first layer of serving,
      and lightly waxes the second/top layer; he believes excess wax can force
      the strands apart when the string is under tension. Nylon serving
      material can work too, but it's a bit tougher to keep it tight & close
      enough. Li recommends against the larger diameter of Polygrip (.025) as
      he hasn't been able to get it to stay close together enough. Ditto all of
      the above for the center servings.
      What is the body of your string made from? We have found 30 strands (15
      circuits) of B-50 dacron or Dyneema work well on the Gladius prods, or 40
      strands (20 circuits) of Fast Flite.
      Good luck!
      -- Ygraine
    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
        >What is the body of your string made from? We have found 30 strands (15
        >circuits) of B-50 dacron or Dyneema work well on the Gladius prods, or 40
        >strands (20 circuits) of Fast Flite.

        I've been using 16-17 circuits (32-34 strands) of B-50

        Siegfried
        Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org