resin on arrows

  • Edward deWitt
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 22, 2011
      I received a couple dozen POC arrow shafts the other day and just noticed that several of them are coated with resin that is rather sticky.  Does anyone have a solution for removing the resin and hopefully keeping anymore from oozing out of the pores?
      Eduard deWitte

    • RJ Bachner
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 22, 2011
        Heya

        Use turpentine to clean the goop off and then sand and seal it well. there should not be very much in the shaft and the terpentine will clean most off.

        Ragi

        On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Edward deWitt <sagebowman@...> wrote:

        I received a couple dozen POC arrow shafts the other day and just noticed that several of them are coated with resin that is rather sticky.  Does anyone have a solution for removing the resin and hopefully keeping anymore from oozing out of the pores?
        Eduard deWitte

      • Caley
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 22, 2011
          What is POC?

          Thanks!

          Caley
        • Bill Tait
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 22, 2011
            Port Orford Cedar

            On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:53 PM, Caley <caoillainn1@...> wrote:
            What is POC?

            Thanks!

            Caley

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Sheldon the Just
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 22, 2011
              Greetings

              Port Orford Cedar

              Regards
              Sheldon the Just

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 23, 2011
                The resin is pitch from the cedar.  I will typically wipe it down with acetone to get rid of it.  I also will wipe all of the shafts with a wet sponge to raise the grain and then buff them with 00 (medium) steel wool after they have dried.  It ensures a nice smooth coat of sealant when you rub it on or dip it.

                Evrard de Valogne, OGGS,
                An Tir
                Proprieter of Arrows by Evrard

                On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Sheldon the Just <ss0700@...> wrote: