E-BOOK LISTING

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 16, 2011
      Here is a thought.
      I was recently given a Nook for travel.  I am the kind of guy whose carry-on is 40# of books and a toothbrush... maybe a change of underwear...
      The Nook solves this problem save for one thing.

      NONE of the books I want to read can be found on B&N site or even the Amazon site for the Kindle.  Sure, they have the NYTimes Bestseller list but tryto find Kline's Maza of the Moon or Lelands Gypsy Magic or Oakshott's swiord classification.

      Gutenberg has some books.  But not all.

      Now there ARE books out there in PDF and Doc format.  I have a couple on archery and swords and most of the Burroughs collection, some Kline, etc.
      But I imagine that there are many more e-books out there that I havn;t found, but you have.

      So, and this is a thought that is worth tossing out.

      How about a yahoo-group dedicated to sharing these e-books?
      these can be downloaded to our e-reader or read on our PC or even printed up as a 'real book'?

      We can post the books we have (assuming that we are not stealing $$ from the author), offer to send the ones we have, or ask if anyone has books we want.

      Essentuially a free bookstore that has books we want to read from Gods of mars by E. R. burroughs to Viking Swords by E. Oakshott to ??????
      And reviews of the books.

      I'm still in the development stage so am asking for input, ways to make it work, suggestions, etc.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 16, 2011
          the big problem here is that period books are probably still in photocopy or original in the university libraries and accessablt to Interlibrary Loan to credentialed people only.
          Books that are relevent to us are rarely worth the cost and trouble to convert.  Musashi's Book of Five Rings being the rare exception.

          BUT, some people DO manage to find a PDF copy of a useful book someplace or have a hard copy that they went to the trouble to scan and convert for their own use.

          ex:
          I have
          ...Sword ofthe Viking Age by Ian Pierce
          ... The Keris and Other Malay Weapons by Gerald gardner
          ...The Essentials of Archery bu L. Stemmler
          and probably a few others on the home PC.
          But there are many more out there.  You may know the URL for a few as does someone else,  But your knowledge doesn't help him. And if you post a message "here" on this group  "I found *** at http***", in a week that posting will be lost in the hundreds of other messages.

          I'm trying to find a way to make it easier to share what we have access to.

          On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:47 PM, James of the Lake <jotl2008@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Carl Nelson
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 16, 2011
            here are a couple of websites that have low cost or free downloadable books of interest to history buffs (and others), http://www.silkpagoda.com/catalog/ , http://www.archive.org/details/millionbooks , http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page . these all have scanned out of print books including Roger Ascham on the second one i.e. the millionbooks site.  there maybe others  but I have not done a real extensive search.
             ,,
            On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 2:55 PM, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

[...]

            626-297-6513

          • Taslen
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 16, 2011
              Hey guys check out www.lulu.com I have found a few archery e-books for free or cheap on there.

              Gaelen O'Grady

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 17, 2011
                 Start a folder in the file section for the URLs. That's the best way.
                    Karl

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 17, 2011
                  true.. as far as it goes.
                  And when I get the titles changed from what they list to what they are, i will.
                  I'm just trying to create a central depository so I don't have to remember a dozen URLs for a dozen types of e-books.

                  Here for medieval archery
                  there for modern archery
                  another for Conand and Red Sonja
                  still another for medieval classics
                  still another site for modern literature....

                  On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 5:54 AM, <kweancel@...> wrote:

                   Start a folder in the file section for the URLs. That's the best way.
                      Karl

                  > But there are many more out there. You may know the URL for a few as does
                  > someone else, But your knowledge doesn't help him. And if you post a
                  > message "here" on this group "I found *** at http***", in a week that
                  > posting will be lost in the hundreds of other messages.

                  --
                  Rick Johnson
                  http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                • James W
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 17, 2011
                    If we are dealing with archery books, I think listing them on this forum is fine but I think you are looking for something more general if you are including science fiction and fantasy novels like ERB's Martian series. In that case, I think either setting up a personal web page or blog or a separate Yahoo Group is the way to go.

                    I would caution you to read up on the copyright legislation. I find many people don't really understand the difference between copyright or public domain or fair use. They do have some excellent FAQs on the copyright government site.

                    Cheers,
                    James

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

                    > true.. as far as it goes.
                    > And when I get the titles changed from what they list to what they are, i
                    > will.
                    > I'm just trying to create a central depository so I don't have to remember a
                    > dozen URLs for a dozen types of e-books.
                    >
                    > Here for medieval archery
                    > there for modern archery
                    > another for Conand and Red Sonja
                    > still another for medieval classics
                    > still another site for modern literature....
                    >
                    > On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 5:54 AM, <kweancel@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Start a folder in the file section for the URLs. That's the best way.
                    > > Karl
                    > >

                    > > > But there are many more out there. You may know the URL for a few as does
                    > >
                    > > > someone else, But your knowledge doesn't help him. And if you post a
                    > > > message "here" on this group "I found *** at http***", in a week that
                    > > > posting will be lost in the hundreds of other messages.
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Rick Johnson
                    > http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                    > "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
                    > will soon find that they have neither."

                  • richard johnson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 17, 2011
                      the copyright problem is THE big issue.
                      I don;t want to steal $$ from the authors.
                      I may borrow a bootleg copy of a SC but always buy the original when i can for many reasons, legality being one, quality being another, ethics being still another.

                      I have a number of e-books on aarchery that i KNOW are in public domain, but others may not be simply because someone bought a book and decided to scan it for a friend who gave it to a friend and before anyone knew it, the thing was being spread all over the world.

                      The copyright issue may destroy this project.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 17, 2011
                        thats why the three sites I posted are so good they have gone and legally obtained scanned copies of books that are otherwise no longer in print or under copy write, and yes one site does sell books there by paying royalties to the authors.

                        On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

                        the copyright problem is THE big issue.
                        I don;t want to steal $$ from the authors.
                        I may borrow a bootleg copy of a SC but always buy the original when i can for many reasons, legality being one, quality being another, ethics being still another.

                        I have a number of e-books on aarchery that i KNOW are in public domain, but others may not be simply because someone bought a book and decided to scan it for a friend who gave it to a friend and before anyone knew it, the thing was being spread all over the world.

                        The copyright issue may destroy this project.

                        On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM, James W <jameswolfden@...> wrote:

                        If we are dealing with archery books, I think listing them on this forum is fine but I think you are looking for something more general if you are including science fiction and fantasy novels like ERB's Martian series. In that case, I think either setting up a personal web page or blog or a separate Yahoo Group is the way to go.

                        I would caution you to read up on the copyright legislation. I find many people don't really understand the difference between copyright or public domain or fair use. They do have some excellent FAQs on the copyright government site.

                        Cheers,
                        James

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

                        > true.. as far as it goes.
                        > And when I get the titles changed from what they list to what they are, i
                        > will.
                        > I'm just trying to create a central depository so I don't have to remember a
                        > dozen URLs for a dozen types of e-books.
                        >
                        > Here for medieval archery
                        > there for modern archery
                        > another for Conand and Red Sonja
                        > still another for medieval classics
                        > still another site for modern literature....
                        >
                        > On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 5:54 AM, <kweancel@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > Start a folder in the file section for the URLs. That's the best way.
                        > > Karl
                        > >

                        > > > But there are many more out there. You may know the URL for a few as does
                        > >
                        > > > someone else, But your knowledge doesn't help him. And if you post a
                        > > > message "here" on this group "I found *** at http***", in a week that
                        > > > posting will be lost in the hundreds of other messages.
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Rick Johnson
                        > http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                        > "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
                        > will soon find that they have neither."

                        --
                        Rick Johnson
                        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com