Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Crown Tournament

  • Cecil Hudson
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 10, 2011
      I like it. And I think it would add to the spectator value too. And if it
      was spread out over several events then people would get to see who the up and comers are. Word and rumor could spread who leads. Much fame to be had instead of a one day bash.
      Cian @}~~~

      On Mar 10, 2011, at 11:47 AM, "Ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...> wrote:

      greetings

      purely for a "what if " thought game.....

      I would make crown tourney a 2 day event instead of a one day event.
      or spread the " preliminary rounds " out over several events.

      then , add  such things as a combat archery round, a spear round, a chess round, and a dance / bardic round,great sword round, single sword round. all of which everyone attempting to win crown would have to participate in , to qualify for the final sword and board rounds to become king.
      this would show that any prospective king , was proficient in many weapons styles, could think under stress, and was a well rounded individual.
      this could also be used to set up the initial pairings, the higher you scored in the preliminary rounds the later you get placed in the sword an board line rounds. so someone doing badly at c/a,dance,chess,spear ( for example ) could expect to be in the opening fight or close to it, but someone who did well at everything, wouldnt even start the sword and board rounds till like the bottom 25 % had already been removed from the list.

      if spread out over several events, across the kingdom, this would also show the person can afford the travel needed to be king .
      but spreading it out could over several events could also make it harder for the populace to afford to go to all of the " crown tourney rounds " .

      ( note: I didn't add a siege or equestrian round because not everyone has access to those items on a regular basis to practice. )
      ( second note : % and placement positions would have to be adjusted by the chiv./ crown , but it should be done on a fair basis every time, or even set by the bod if needed. )

      Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
      Arthur

      Message 47 of 47 , Apr 18, 2013
        I am considering modifying the crouch so the archer only has to crouch while aiming and releasing. They may stand while nocking and drawing.

        Jon

        "lynn.palmieri" <lynn.palmieri@...> wrote:

        John,

        I like the challenge overall.  My only concern would be for those of us with damaged knees.  I personally am unable to crouch and hold that position to shoot.  Getting up and down of the ground is challenging, but doable, however it may depend on the state of the ground (i.e. fine dirt or mud vs. grass).  I know you said it would be the marshal’s choice, but these two options may need to be used as last resorts?  Just my $0.02.

        Elynor.