Re: [SCA-Archery] Target faces

  • Taslen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2011

      From: Joe LaTorre <latorrej@...>
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, March 10, 2011 12:15:36 AM
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Target faces

      You may recall a discussion a couple of months ago about encouraging
      the use of more period target faces. Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf raised the
      point, and there were a variety of responses. After this discussion,
      no one is suggesting that the five-color face be banned, but rather
      that we see what we can do to foster more period-looking archery.

      One point raised was that the current five-color face allows
      competitions such as the IKAC, in which scores from across the country
      can be compared. In addition, since the five-color face has been used
      since the creation of the IKAC, this year's scores can be compared
      with all past years.

      It was also pointed out that we don't know enough about competitions
      that were shot in period to make a true "period" competition.

      I have come across a target face that might address some of these
      issues. It can be viewed at the website of one of its manufacturers:

      http://mapleleafpress.com/fita.htm

      Scroll down to the targets labeled "FITA Official Field Faces." These
      targets consist of a center gold area surrounded by four outer rings,
      all black. Sizes include 60 centimeters, same as our current five-
      color standard IKAC target.

      I now have these targets, and like them. They allow us to continue
      scoring the RR and IKAC as we currently do. But the simpler color
      scheme replicates shooting at a small mark set against a larger
      background field, as illustrated on p. 15 of Sir Jon's recent article
      on medieval and renaissance targets and contests (Yahoo group files).

      Lorenzo, keeper of the IKAC, has agreed to accept scores shot on this
      face in this year's IKAC competition. He was concerned about accuracy
      of scorekeeping for the outer rings, since you can no longer go by
      color. I see the point. At Sir Jon's suggestion, on my target faces I
      have written a small "4,3,2,1" in four directions out from the center
      to help in scorekeeping. I think that, after one gets used to these
      targets, that will no longer be necessary.

      We have begun shooting these targets at my local branch practice. I
      intend to bring them to our March Crown Tournament to allow a wider
      experiment. If the archers on the line are willing to try them, I will
      put them up for the shooting on Saturday to get feedback and any ideas
      about how to make them more useable.

      After that, I will report back to the list about how they are received.

      I have found two supplier so far (Maple Leaf Press doesn't seem to
      sell directly):

      http://www.gnsarchery.com/Maple-Leaf-Target-Faces.html $0.99 each
      plus shipping

      http://www.thegunsource.com/item/367221__Archery_MPL_FITA_FIELD_BK_YLW_60C.aspx
      $14.99 for 25, plus shipping

      I bought from GNS, but it looks like the Gun Source is a better deal
      (who orders just one target?).

      I hope others will be interested in taking a look at these targets and
      trying them out.

      Joseph de la Tour
      West Kingdom

      I can see these being certainly more period in apperance.

      Gaelen O'Grady