Feather singing jig

  • Mike O'Toole
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2000
      I have uploaded the scan of the singeing jig from page 350 of Robert
      Elmer's Archery, 1933 Revised Edition.

      The description in the text is:

      "Recently, Harris McKinney, of the Tamanend Archers, hit upon the idea
      of shaping the feather by clamping it between two metal plates and
      singeing off the surplus edge, his friend, John B. Fontaine, of the same
      society, constructing a convenient tool for the purpose. There is
      merely the rapid passing of a match, candle or cautery and a perfect job
      is done." p349-350

      the scan is at http://www.egroups.com/files/SCA-Archery/singe-1.jpg

      Maybe we can convince Macsen to rummage around and see if he can find
      the reference to the SCA period version of this tool. Hunh, hunh,
      pretty please? :-)

      I found it also interestingly that earlier on page 349 Elmer states:
      "Up until the time of men still living the common shape was the
      triangular, simply made with a single cut of the knife or scissors."

      The triangle shape may have been common but the straight feather can be
      seen in the Wilton Diptych dated to 1394-1396, scan at
      http://www.egroups.com/files/SCA-Archery/wilton.jpg.

      I have also found a fresco in Ferrara showing an arrow with parabolic
      feathers. I haven't been able to date it beyond 'Renaissance Italy'.
      The fresco was commisioned by Duke Borso d'Este for the Palazzo
      Schifanoia in Ferrara. The scan is from "The Triumph of Minerva and the
      Month of March." Scan is at
      http://www.egroups.com/files/SCA-Archery/schifan.jpg

      Happy burning.

      Michael O'Byrne

      Would you like to earn money while surfing the web?
      http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=iby-734