Re: sculpted risers and offset arrow-rests/sight-windows

  • gee
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2011
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Caley" <caoillainn1@...> wrote:

      > > While hand damage from vane tips may be in the realm of papercuts for
      > > some, putting a lifted quill into flesh might put an archer out of
      > > action. Previously on this list some methods to avoid and minimize injury
      > > were shared.
      >
      > > Proper technique should take most of the risk out of shooting off hand.
      > > I'm not so certain I could always maintain such when faced with a
      > > charging line of enemies, or a case of buck fever.
      >

      > I doubt archers could afford gloves, but perhaps they wrapped a strip of
      > cloth around their hand?
      >
      > And what is the proper technique for avoiding fletching cuts?
      >

      > Thanks!
      >

      > Caley

      I don't think I have ever seen a period picture of an archer with a cloth or a glove on his bow hand. A correct nocking point will stop the fletching cutting into the hand - to stop a fletching from lifting, I always use an extra blob of glue on the leading edge and I also bind them from the leading edge right through to the back of the fletching - I also whip under the nock to prevent them from splitting as they are bog basic self nocks - see them in photos under 'longbow quivers' by geebarjay