Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow event

  • Caley
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
      > In the past I have run a period crossbow competition as part of the
      > archery competitions at Estrella war. It was shot at period style
      > targets and had no time limits.

      COOL!!!

      Caley
    • Caley
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
        >I would advise against a Xbow only event. It's not the weapon of choice
        > which makes our archery events so much fun and creative. It is the Archers
        > of the Known World who make the events what they have become. A place for
        > goode friends to gather and challenge each other in a grand old sport.
        >
        > I would be afeared that an Xbow only event would seem rather anemic
        > without the rest of the crowd in attendance. Now having a "Xbow only"
        > range at an Archery event would be a tremendous idea and, were any Xbows
        > on loan, may extend the interest of the weapon to other Archers.

        I would have a tournament with a straight bow category and an xbow category,
        with separate winners and prizes/scrolls for each.

        Caley
      • John Chapin
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
          There were 2 or 3 crossbow shooters at the last event and Boooker T Washington State Park in Chattanooga ( I believe it was Tales of Sherwood ) and they were most welcome.  There doesn't seem to be an anticrossbow sentiment among the archers in Meridies.  The archers welcomed everyone who wanted to shoot.  We also took the time to help beginning and first time archers to learn how to shoot

          Thorarinn Grjotgardhsson
          Vulpine Reach

          On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Caley <caoillainn1@...> wrote:

          >I would advise against a Xbow only event. It's not the weapon of choice
          > which makes our archery events so much fun and creative. It is the Archers
          > of the Known World who make the events what they have become. A place for
          > goode friends to gather and challenge each other in a grand old sport.
          >
          > I would be afeared that an Xbow only event would seem rather anemic
          > without the rest of the crowd in attendance. Now having a "Xbow only"
          > range at an Archery event would be a tremendous idea and, were any Xbows
          > on loan, may extend the interest of the weapon to other Archers.

          I would have a tournament with a straight bow category and an xbow category,
          with separate winners and prizes/scrolls for each.

          Caley

        • logantheboweyder
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
            Perhaps it is unique to Calontir... one of the requirements for membership in a GOA-level archery order, the Boga Hirth, is excellence in several weapon types, which has helped foster the Crossbow community's growth. As well, Calontir has several good crossbow makers to provide a source for bows to those who aren't adventurous enough to try their own hand at making one.

            Logan
            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John Chapin <scacrazyviking@...> wrote:

            > There were 2 or 3 crossbow shooters at the last event and Boooker T
            > Washington State Park in Chattanooga ( I believe it was Tales of Sherwood )
            > and they were most welcome. There doesn't seem to be an anticrossbow
            > sentiment among the archers in Meridies. The archers welcomed everyone who
            > wanted to shoot. We also took the time to help beginning and first time
            > archers to learn how to shoot
            >

            > Thorarinn Grjotgardhsson
            > Vulpine Reach
            >
            > On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Caley <caoillainn1@...> wrote:
            >

            > > >I would advise against a Xbow only event. It's not the weapon of choice
            > > > which makes our archery events so much fun and creative. It is the
            > > Archers
            > > > of the Known World who make the events what they have become. A place for
            > > > goode friends to gather and challenge each other in a grand old sport.
            > > >
            > > > I would be afeared that an Xbow only event would seem rather anemic
            > > > without the rest of the crowd in attendance. Now having a "Xbow only"
            > > > range at an Archery event would be a tremendous idea and, were any Xbows
            > > > on loan, may extend the interest of the weapon to other Archers.
            > >
            > > I would have a tournament with a straight bow category and an xbow
            > > category,
            > > with separate winners and prizes/scrolls for each.
            > >
            > > Caley

          • Caley
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
              > There were 2 or 3 crossbow shooters at the last event and Boooker T
              > Washington State Park in Chattanooga ( I believe it was Tales of
              > Sherwood )
              > and they were most welcome. There doesn't seem to be an anticrossbow
              > sentiment among the archers in Meridies. The archers welcomed everyone
              > who
              > wanted to shoot. We also took the time to help beginning and first time
              > archers to learn how to shoot

              > Thorarinn Grjotgardhsson
              > Vulpine Reach

              I haven't experienced anti-crossbow stuff, either. I was at the event and
              was suprised that other crossbows showed up;
              I'm usually the only one.

              Caley